Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Thinkin about a new gun >

Thinkin about a new gun

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Thinkin about a new gun

Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Thinkin about a new gun

So stupid me went to this Sportmans place in Shelby, Ohio called Sportsmans Den. They are a nice store, have excellent prices, have very knowledgable staff, and their staff would bend over backwards to help you. I hadn't been there in a while so i decided to go to browse for used rifles.

I've also been tossing around the idea of getting a 20 Gauge to use as my dedicated slug gun because the 12 after about 15 rounds turns my shoulder into ground beef. Well they had a used H&R Ultra Slug Hunter there in 20 Gauge with bull barrel and drilled and tapped for scope for $189. I inspected the gun and it looks great, just normal wear and tare, nothing bad. I have a fully rifled slug barrel for my Mossy 500, only put 20 rounds down range with it. I am thinking about selling my rifled slug barrel seeing as i could get about $150 for it and putting it toward my gun. Only problem is it's fully camoed in Mossy Oak Breakup, yall think i'll have a hard time selling it? Any of you have the Ultra Slug Hunter/ use a 20 Gauge for their slug gun? How do you like it? They also have a Stoeger Condor O/U there in great shape for a reasonable price. I'd love to have an O/U for pheasant and dove.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinkin about a new gun

If i have any tags left come gun season i use one my familys 3 Mossberg 500 combos. We have 2 twenty guages and one 12. Ifi was you, i would keep the mossberg, just get it dialed in good at 100 yards and your set man.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

i cant say much for the mossy or the H&R cause i havent used either for shooting slugs. and havent shot a 20 ga. in my life, but they will do the same job as a 12 ga.

the condor i can say is a pretty good gun. couple down sides of it that im not to fond of. 1) fires he bottom barrel first (and there is no way to change that) 2) doesnt eject the spent rounds (you get crazy shooting alot of rounds in a short time those shells get REAL HOT)
Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

I would get the Stoeger. The Mossberg 500 is right behind the Rem. 870 in poularity, and quality. If you have a rifled barrel for it, just add a red dot, and sight it in, and get some good slugs. My friend has killed all his deer with his 870 20 gauge except one, and that was his biggest deer, and it was with his crossbow. Hes never had a deer move, after its been shot. and all the deer he has shot with his 870 have been 50 yards+. Hope i helped.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

a 20 is plenty! i dnt deer hunt w/ a shot gun but i have all ikinds of 12s and a 1 and a couple 2s and i always take my 1187 20 for everything, geese, ducks, woodcock pheasant. ijust match the choke and shot tot he game and conditions. w/ the tech. they have now a 20ga slug will know the eyeteeth outa a buck no problems. i agree w/ andy about the condor, i dont like any o/u that doesnt have ejectors. i doubt you would have a hard job selling yer barrel. theres always someone who is interested no matter what it is. put it on craigs list. i bet it would sell
Old 08-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking to get a Russian M44. They're only $150 at Gander Mtn., and it looks really cool. It even has a bayonet on it! Anybody ever hunt with these?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Centauri

I'm looking to get a Russian M44. They're only $150 at Gander Mtn., and it looks really cool. It even has a bayonet on it! Anybody ever hunt with these?
Canadian Chic pelts them with rocks and kills them so a bayonet is more than enough [8D]
Old 08-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea but shes some woods booger creature beast rugby playerfrom canada!!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

yea but shes some woods booger creature beast rugby playerfrom canada!!
I miss her :-(
Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

where did she go?

Quick Reply: Thinkin about a new gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.