Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Minimum age to hunt? >

Minimum age to hunt?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Minimum age to hunt?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Little Doe Peep

Default Minimum age to hunt?

What do you guys think should be the minimum age at which a kid can hunt and why?

What do you think should be the minimum age to hunt without adult supervision and why?

If you answer, please acknowledge the fact that different kids mature at different ages and allow for that.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Minimum age to hunt?

There should beno limit, just based on maturity with a loaded firearm in your hands.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree. There should be no minimum age for hunting. However, unsupervised is another thing. I think 16 is a good age to let the kiddies go out on their own for the first time. Gives them lots of years of practice with whoever they hunt with most, and get the basics down. That way, when they come across a problem in the field, they can solve it themselves because they spent a few years learning how. Otherwise, calculating windage, downhill, range, ect. can be difficult if you just cut a new hunter loose with a firearm or bow.

I think it doesn't have as much to do with just maturity as it does with a combination of maturity and experience. No matter how a person matures at a different age or whatnot, there's got to be a certain level of experience behind the gun, not just a good hunter.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

idk bout all of u, but i only sat with my dad one year, first year u could hunt, after that, i sat by myself(which isnt legal). so it really dont matter to me, i couldve hunted when i was 7 if id have been so inclined, i bet dad woulda let me shoot his deer.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 AM

I agree with cenauri .My dad says immature enough to go hunting,but he dosent want to break law[the law is you have to be 12,it stinks that i can only take down small game.]So i just sit and watch and go hunting in my woods right off my house with a22.,Airifle,bow,and a airshotgun for small game.

Kingfisher97

[hr]

A bad day of hunting is better than agood day at work.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

no minimum age, 16, but you have to pass a hunter saftey test before going out on your own.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM

i am all alone been that way since i was 12 mite be becuse i got a 100% on my hunter saftey!!!!!!! lol

I agree with most everyone there should be no minimum age
Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

here you need to get the hunters saftey course and after that "technicaly"you can hunt by yourself! really though i dont think there should be an age limit to hunt, but i would say 16 should probably be the age to hunt by yourself! like hunting girl said, experiance and knowlege is key, to turn someone loose with little or no experiance but calim it ok cause the kid is "mature", well to me thats stupid!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 PM

yeah you cant get those kids from the city out there hunting alone!!!!

let me quote David Blanton on myself "Ty (thats me) you know more about hunting then alot of 40year olds do"
now if you are like me out every day even in the summer scouting then yes i think they can hunt alone
Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 PM

i think to tag along with the parents(s) should be 9 years old and to be able to HUNT it should be 11 and to go without supervision it should be 16, well thats what i think it should be well atleast in new york

Quick Reply: Minimum age to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.