Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Want to bow hunt.. >

Want to bow hunt..

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Want to bow hunt..

Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Want to bow hunt..

Hey guys, I know a lot of you are big time bow hunters.... I really want to start bow hunting because I believe that it is more practical for deer hunting vs rifle opener which is just mayhem.

I'm interested in a recurve...more traditional if you will

-any pointers??
Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Want to bow hunt..

Somebody should be able to help you out in the traditional archery area. I think I'm gonna ask for a recurve for christmas. That would be the ultimate way to hunt,but you gotta shoot everyday. goodluck!
Old 08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I am 9 years old and I started about a year ago. I love it.You should try it too.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am a compound guy i may try traditional later in life

Old 08-05-2006, 03:17 PM

I would go to a pro shop around you and try different compound and recurve bows. See what yo u like. Then when we pick compound or traditional, test out all the different bows in that category to see which one feels right. Recurves are generally less expensive than compounds.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM

I started out trad. I use a longbow, and I love it. You have too keep up the practice though. Alot of practice. Practice, practice, practice and stay sharp.One of the most important things, especially in traditional archery, is form. Try to hook up with someonethat canshow you. Four of the most important parts of form are, IMO, bow arm (should be strong, pushing towards the target, do not drop it immediately after you shoot), anchor (be sure to pick an anchor point and draw to that point every time), back tension (keep the muscles in your back tight, try to pinch your shoulderblades together), and release (let the string melt through your fingers, don't pluck the string, when you release your fingers should stay where they were anchored). Try to keep the tip of the elbow of your drawing arm in line with the arrow. Stand up straight, a little bend at the knees, feet shoulder width apart at a 90 degree angle to the target. You don't want to start off with bad habits like I did. Then I had to work and work at it to correct them. Save yourself the effort and talk to a real hardcore trad guy. Thats if you go trad. If you do, be sure not to overbow yourself. For your first bow, get something cheap with a light draw weight, that you can pull and are comfortable to practice with. Build up those muscles. Maybe 35#...
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 PM

personaly i would make your own longbow for your first bow.if not that then a solid wood longbow.than as you get older and cant pull it, get a compound or what ever.but my advice is to start out wit a #40 and then,when practice shooting,hold it at full draw,as long as you can without straining yourself or making your aim less acurate.when you can hold it for pretty much as long as you would ever need to,move up to a #50.repeat.do this for pretty much your whole life.

making your own bow brings you closer to the hunting experience.when you BUY a bow,you seean excellent tool for the hunting and killing of game.when you make your own bow, no matter if its a piece of art ora piece of crap, as long as its reliable,and doesevery function a bow should do,you will be attached for life.

i would say to get a #35, but here(idont know about where every body else lives)it has to be #40 to hunt big game washington.I have a 35#fred bear panda recurve,(i only have a recurve because my grampa gave it to me, and i love it)and itsa #35,butthats at 26",and im 29".which the way it works out is justenough to be #40.

one thing i heard from some one was:if its under #50 make your arrowheads SHARP.HELLA sharp.over #50,make it a little ragged,or rough,or someother sparkely word that means itsTEARs(sp?)not CUTS

best of luck.