Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Question for philosophy buffs >

Question for philosophy buffs

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Question for philosophy buffs

Old 10-25-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Question for philosophy buffs

K,im gunna post this here and in the off season forum. Open for debate, but mostly on an opinion view, not as a strike someone down for a different belief(if that makes sense). Mostly, i just want to see what you guys think. So, heres the question.

Aship sets sail for a voyage. Along there way, they get a hole in the ship, so they fix. Then another hole, and another, and another. Eventually, they have replaced the whole boat with new material.

Question: Is the boat they set sail on, still the same boat?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question for philosophy buffs

of course. if you give somebody a heart transplant, its not their heart, but they're still the same. the people operate as the brain of the operation, so even if you replaced an entire human body, as long as you keep the brain the same, its still all the same.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna go opposite here....

If the whole boat is made of new material, it's like the other boat doesn't even exist anymore. So I'm calling it a new boat.

I do have to ask...what is the catch here?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they have replaced every part of the boat and the old boat no longer exists, then of course it's not the same boat as before.

Now it could be the SAME boat in the sense that it's identical in every way to the first boat, only made with newer materials.

kinda of like if you have two 2005 Honda Accords that are the same color with the same options etc. You have the SAME car but they are not one they are different.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:33 PM

I also think that if the boat was made completely out of new material then it would be new boat. Thats because there is no longer any of the old boat remaining.

Not to go against you or anything HG89
Old 10-25-2005, 10:48 PM

Ok, no real catch here, just wondering. But, in a way there is a catch. The human body completely changes all the time in the sense that cell recreation makes new material all the time. In fact, you get a new eye every two to three days because cells recreate so fast. So, look at it this way. Are you the same person as you were two weeks ago?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter9022

Ok, no real catch here, just wondering. But, in a way there is a catch. The human body completely changes all the time in the sense that cell recreation makes new material all the time. In fact, you get a new eye every two to three days because cells recreate so fast. So, look at it this way. Are you the same person as you were two weeks ago?
Physically? Probably not.

Chemically? In a sense.

Mentally? Yes.

See, that's the difference between the human body and an inanimate object. We've got more than one part, we've got our physical makeup, our chemical makeup, and our mental er... makeup. I think you see my point.

To compare a human to a boat in this instance doesn't really work well because of the many differences.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey, i've been pulling a 72 hour cram session... give me a break
Old 10-26-2005, 09:49 PM

i agree with the whole heart transplat thing and how we are the same person, but in the case of the boat, the brain, heart and soul was replaced, so therefore i say it is a different boat physically, BUT, to the owner, it may have some special value.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: hunter9022

Physically? Probably not.

Chemically? In a sense.

Mentally? Yes.

See, that's the difference between the human body and an inanimate object. We've got more than one part, we've got our physical makeup, our chemical makeup, and our mental er... makeup. I think you see my point.

To compare a human to a boat in this instance doesn't really work well because of the many differences.
Physically and mentally change all the time. As far as talking about matter. As for my soul, I am the same. Boats aren't anything comparable to humans. The analogy doesn't hold ground in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Question for philosophy buffs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.