Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

A fence around my.....

Old 05-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default A fence around my.....

ok has anyone ever done this and has it worked for you. I am thinking about putting a feeder up in my pasture this year for deer season. But I am wanting to put a fence around it to keep the cows from eating all the corn. About how big of a fence should i put around the feeder. What is the smallest space i should use. And will the deer jump the fence just to eat the corn or will it be to much work for them. Anyone have any input on this.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A fence around my.....

deer can jump a fence about as easily as you can step over a curb. in order to save your labor, time and material costs i would suggest fencing off an area just about twice as large as the area that the corn is distributed by the feeder. roughly about the size of one side of a tennis court.

make sure your feeder is near some woods or a treeline. deer like to have an easy escape route. you can even place two t-posts at the start and end of your fence, but leave a gap about 20 inches wide for the deer to walk through but not wide enough for the cows. just an idear.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 AM

I did the same thing for several big apple trees I had in the middle of a pasture field. Was sick of the cows eating all the apples and hanging out around the tree all evening while I sat in the stand. Just some t-posts and snow fence was all it took and the cattle stayed out and the deer hopped over with ease and used it frequently.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

We use what we call hog panels, they are about four feet tall and about 14-16 feet long. (tractor supply, lowes, home depot) I put about seven of these together and cut some 3ft rebar to use as stakes. wire them up and you are set. Makes it easier to move around if you change locations, plus you can add panels if you do not like the size of the area it covers.