Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

what did I do ?

Old 04-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what did I do ?

I'd give it a bit more time before you write off your efforts. It sounds like you did everything correctly (you did lightly work in the seed?).

Dan O.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:54 PM

I packed the soild first by driving over it with my 4 wheeler - Then spread the seed and fertilizer -

Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have suggested that you spread the seed when the soil still has voids for the seed to fall into before you packed it. This would be similar to raking the seed into the soil when you plant a lawn. The seed may just be sitting on the soil surface where it doesn't have enough moisture to germinate.

Dan O.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dont go in there and rake it now, just leave it alone for awhile, give it some time...
Old 04-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep - let it be for at least another 2-3 weeks - I'll bet it comes too.

Clover will not germinate too early, Thats why frost seeding on snow works so good in the north. It works its way into the soil between thaws - and will not germinate until the soil is up to the proper temp.

Inoculants have nothing at all to do with germination - so don't worry about that.

In a cool spring - native annual weed often get a Jump-Start on spring planted clovers - (like mustard or curly dock). You may find that you will have to mow the annuals down at the end of May - Don't lose faith yet.

FH
Old 04-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

SOunds similar to my story a few years ago. Trying to save what turned out to be about $10 on seed I cost myself an entire season. I planted a buddies suggested seeds from a co-op and got nothing but weeds. Turned out the seed was out of date. What did grow was weak and died the next summer. I went back with the bag to get a refund they said the bag was clearly marked as when it was last tested and I must have had a planting failure. Haven't geen back since.

My only failure was to try and save $10 on my 2 acre plot. Since them I have used Imperil clover and some wheat it's worked every year except once when we didn't get any rain.

Dont shop for the cheapest shop for the best. It isn't worth loosing the money and the season. Hell, I only have about 14 years left and at 70 I'm giving up hunting and putting myself out to stud.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Cdi, always check the date and % of gearmination on package.