Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 got seed!  powerplant and imp, whitetail clover >

got seed! powerplant and imp, whitetail clover

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

got seed! powerplant and imp, whitetail clover

Old 03-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default got seed! powerplant and imp, whitetail clover

i hate to admit it, but i will be joining the food plot group this year. i have been considering doing it, and last week at my NWTF baquet, i won a 25# bag of powerplant, and 5# of the clover. so, after i choose where to put it, break the soil up, get a test done, etc, what next? are these items that i can plant and walk away from, or will they require something else for care? thanks,
Pat
oh yeah, this is solely being used as an attractant, i ain't joining the qdm ranks, by golly, lol!!!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:27 PM

Default RE: got seed! powerplant and imp, whitetail clover

oh yeah, this is solely being used as an attractant, i ain't joining the qdm ranks, by golly, lol!!!!!
Watch it, them are fighting words.lol

The powerplant will attract deer. The will live in it if you don't disturb them. the down side is it is an annual and will die off with the first hard frost leaving you nothing to hunt over when the season comes. The clover will however be going strong and if you prep the plot well will come back for years to come.

I planted both products you have last year. The deer ignored the clover until the powerplant died and then switched over to the clover. I would plant them close together. If you time it well and plant before a good rain you should have little to do after the initial planting. I did spray my clover a couple of times with a product like vantage that kills weeds but no the clover. It may cost you 10$ but is well worth it. Aside from that my plots have been pretty maintence free.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

From the WI website:
http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/power/qa.php
Q. WHAT’S IN POWERPLANT?

A. PowerPlant is a blend developed at the Whitetail Institute. It contains four legumes that have an excellent chance of survival because they are blended with a palatable crop of forages that grow taller and can protect the other plants from overgrazing at an early stage that could eliminate them.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why can't they just say what's in it?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO WAY -

Welcome to the ranks!

PowerPlant—An annual planting that consists of a mixture of warm-season forages that work together to offer an ultra-high-protein food source, Imperial PowerPlant's unique seed blend includes small amounts of sorghum and sunflowers along with heavy doses of beans and peas. A spring/summer planting, PowerPlant grows very well in a variety of moist and dry soils and has a much better chance of surviving relatively heavy browsing by deer.
You are supposed to be able to walk away from the powerplant mix. You are not supposed to mow it. When they first put it out - I thought it sounded like what gets swept off the floor ant the local co-op!

But what its supposed to do is offer a HI VOLUME of forage in a small space. The beans are supposed to climb the sorghum (which is a decent proportion of the plot). You will probably want to add a couple hundred lbs/acre of 15-15-15 anyhow. If you don't - the Sorghum and sunflowers generally will not produce much.

Rarely can you plant clovers and walk away - In some areas - the clover might get browsed enough to not require mowing - but usually when this happens - the deer pick around the grasses and annual weeds like Ragweed - and soon the plot is over run with weeds. Mowing is usually required.

You never know - things change - besides - we are not all QDM guys!

FH
Old 04-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Spike

Adams, have you seen any Vantage lately. I bought some last year and everyone I check with says it been discontinued. It has been replaced with a product called Arrest. Do you know anything about it?

Where can it be bought?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 06:13 AM

You can buy ARREST at: www.whitetailinstitute.com
Old 04-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Spike

Thanks I called them and ended up ordering it off there website.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM

Sorry slumpbuster. I just now saw your question. I actually had to by a similar product from my locar co-op. I couldn't find vantage either but I explained I was looking for vantage or another poast product. I think I ended up with agway brand.