Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

WHAT TO PLANT FOR FALL HUNTING PLOT

Old 02-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default WHAT TO PLANT FOR FALL HUNTING PLOT

What would make a good food plot for fall hunting? The property that I hunt has a 60 acre alfalfa field on the west side of a ceder swamp. During the summer and early fall it's not unusual to see 20-25 deer in this field, but after the first couple of hard frosts ( I live and hunt in Wisconsin) the deer seem to loose interest. There's no other farm crops within 3/4 of a mile. We still see plenty of tracks in the swamp, but not many deer in the field. What can be planted that will attract and hold deer and stay greener longer than the alfalfa? There are two what I call fingers or strips that are approx. 40' w x 100 yds long with a low brushy area between them that extend into the swamp from the alfalfa field and these are what I would like to plant. I could plant two different plots or the same in each. Thanks in advance for the advice !!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:41 PM

Default RE: WHAT TO PLANT FOR FALL HUNTING PLOT

One word, brassicas. The deer won't start eating them until it frosts on them a few times. This turns the starches into sugars and the deer flock to it.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

2nd word - Rye

Its cheap - and stays green all winter. Its high in Carbohydtrates and is easy to plant.

It compliments a clover or alfalfa summer plot very well.

Really, there is a couple good fall choices. Not many that will beat a good alfalfa plot in the summer months though.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Criggster

One word, brassicas. The deer won't start eating them until it frosts on them a few times. This turns the starches into sugars and the deer flock to it.
I would agree about the brassicas. It would seem ideal if you could put them in a wooded or brushy corner, they deer would feel secure coming out into it.
I wouldn't tear up too much of the alfalfa though, they apparently like it and it's good for them.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM

Konk,

I too am a Wisconsin boy. I plan on trying brassicas for the first time this year as well. Biologic's Maximum is what I am going to throw at 'em along with a different plot of Premium Perennial. You have the alfalfa, so you are already blessed with a perennial. I am not. Just make sure you do a soil test and lime and fertilize accordingly. I just mailed my soil sample in to Biologic a few days ago. I have seen their soil sample results and like it because they dumb it down in plain language for the non-farmer like myself. The cost is reasonable too.

The guys that have answered you before me have given me GREAT tips through all of my projects. I am still a rookie at this game but it's fun trying.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2005, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Kyler,

I would have to agree with you about the info that these guys like Farm Hunter, Answerguy, and Ron M, to name a few have put out on this thread. Great stuff guys. What did you put your soil sample in to mail it to Biologic?
I do like the fact that I have the alfalfa field to hunt over and this will help during the up-comming season since we again will be in an EAB Unit. But I also want something to hold the deer all year.

Does any one have any recommendations for apple trees and when to plant?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:16 AM

I had a regular soil sample bag from the co-op. On Biologic's website they advise to put it in a plastic baggy.

I placed the bag in a padded envelope and mailed it off on Tuesday. I should get the results by email next week. If you would like, I can email the results to you so you can take a look at it.

My unit (54A) was T-Zone last season. We have apparently shot enough does because we aren't T-zone this year......thank goodness. As a group, we shot 18 does and three bucks on the 400 acres we as friends all own different sections of. If we were T-Zone again this year, we would have been very selective because the year after we would have been EAB. We knew we couldn't keep mowing the does down like that. Fortunately for us, we don't have to worry about that....for now anyway.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:19 AM

I planted some crabapples and Granny Smith apples for the fall and winter months. Also planted some Wolf River apples for the summer months. Any apple variety will do, but if you want them to continually visit your spread get a few different varieties that ripen at different times of the year. That way there will always be some on the ground.

You should plant them in the early spring or late fall for the best results.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Criggster

I planted some crabapples and Granny Smith apples for the fall and winter months. Also planted some Wolf River apples for the summer months. Any apple variety will do, but if you want them to continually visit your spread get a few different varieties that ripen at different times of the year. That way there will always be some on the ground.

You should plant them in the early spring or late fall for the best results.
Here's about as good as info as I could find on apple maturity dates:
http://mars.ark.com/~squeeze/apls-ne.html
Old 03-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

2nd word - Rye

Its cheap - and stays green all winter. Its high in Carbohydtrates and is easy to plant.

It compliments a clover or alfalfa summer plot very well.
When is the best time to plant Rye? Also are any brands better than others?

Quick Reply: WHAT TO PLANT FOR FALL HUNTING PLOT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.