Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Suplements

Old 12-27-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Deer Suplements

I am planning on starting a full blown supplemental program for deer using Wildlife Innovations Deer-Vour. Has anyone used thier products?? Has anyone had results with this product?? Here is the link if you are curious... http://wildgameinnovations.com/Shopp...asp?p1=305&p8=

This is supposed to be the best...any thoughts?? Have any of u found better?? Does supplementing deer really see results?? Deer on the 330 acre tract of private land I hunt have great genetics hopefully this will provide the nutrition needed. Anyone find a better product???
Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Suplements

The main thing you can provide for your bucks to become trophy size is TIME. That means passing all young bucks, unless there is a positive abnormal rack trait. Shoot the does. Plant clovers, soybeans and other high nutrition feeds with something available year round.. I'm not real crazy about the supplemental sack feeding. It will probably help some, but I think to get a lot of value out of it you would have to have a 1,000 acre or so pen. Bucks can have a lot of range and the occasional bite or two of feed won't help much. Another thing about supplemental feeding is that it is hard to get wild deer to eat a lot of the stuff.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:57 PM

I used a mineral supplement for the deer on my property for two years, and could not see a definite difference at all. I am going to save my time and energy for food plots, natural vegetation enhancement, and planting trees.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:45 AM

Guys, thanks for the input. My main problem with food plots is that the terian on this property is so rocky and mountainous that a food plot would be extremely difficult to plant. There is no open area, and no flats, only a creek bed between 2 mountian sides. I have hunted this property for years and taken good bucks there. I wanted to start a program to help the deer herd as well as give me something to do in the woods all year. With lack of food plot conditions I was hoping to have 3 feed stations spread out over the property. Has anyone actually tried High protien pelleted feed??
Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 PM

Have you thought of putting in some terraces? If you got the time, a 20-30 foot terrace will provide a decent plot. It will reduce washing of topsoil. This old farm (now a timber) was terraced 60 or more years ago. Here in MS most planting was done with animals that long ago, and the soil was not all that good for crops. A small farmer had to make do with what he had, and if it was hilly it was the only way to go. Times have changed; farmers cultivate the flats and grow timber on the hills. I have put some food plots on some of the old terraces. Experiment with some of the grass type grains, Oats or annual rye. I have both planted and the deer have almost wiped them out, but the roots are still in the ground. (I hope) Good luck.

Russ
Old 12-30-2004, 11:11 PM

Supplemental feed works great. But if you want it to work, then you have to do it right and not take any short cuts. The problem with "doing it right" is the fact that it starts to get expensive and is very time consuming. We use Lyssel & Eckel and Bode Feed. But for the average guy with a small tract of land I would recommend them planting year around food plots unstead of supplemental feeding. Plant some chicory, Tecomate lab lab, soy beans, cow peas, etc. do your home work and find different plants that produce 18% or better of protein.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 AM

Try and look at what they are eating now. Native mast, browse, and crop. Fertize to help growth. It is the cheapest of all improvements. Clear cut trees so light hits forest floor grasses will grow. Leave tree drops where they hit ground, stump will produce limb suckers close to ground where deer can browse. Plant berries around tree drops as they will grow up through like a natural trelis. Keep it simple. [email protected]