Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need a little help

Old 12-08-2004, 07:20 AM

Default Need a little help

Ok, here's my situation. We are going to clearcut 25 acres of land in a few weeks. This piece has only pine on it and I have heard that by default the soil will be acidic? The main reason we are clearing this piece is to sell some timber and them to make a big pasture, maybe even grow some crops too.

So, what can I start with on a soil like this? I was told Kentucky 31 would be good for grazing and cover crop rye seems to be the seed to go with overall. I want something that stays green all year around and is good for horses and deer. I would probably split the land up between different seeds to see what works best. What would you recommend? Oh and a soil test will be done as soon as they are done clearing it.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need a little help

You'll definately want to do a soil test after cutting the timber. Pine tends to be very acidic, but you can "fix" this after looking at your results. You didn't mention if you were going bulldoze the stumps off after logging or not. This will be a major factor on whether you'll be able to get a tractor and disc in to work your plot. Your clovers will be great for the deer, but bad for the horses. If you eventually will try to hay it, definately no clover then unless you want it for cattle. We use alot of timothy and brohem(sp?) grasses in our pastures here. Both are very hardy and both seem tolerant for both deer and horses. Through in a few pounds of alfalfa also. It will die off in a few years, but good browsing while it lasts. The brohem grass tends to be more moisture tolerant, so good in low areas. Taz
Old 12-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know of any grass that will stay green year round. I would go ahead with the soil test and when they are through with clearing, if not too late, broadcast some rye with the correct lime amount. Then in the spring overseed or sprig the type of grass the local ag recommends. In the fall you will probably have to grain drill your winter cover crop back.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:30 AM

Ok thanks guys. And yes we are having a bulldozer come in and work the land . I will talk to they guys in Southern State and see what they would recommend too.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

655 if you are going to pasture horses on it do NOT use Ky 31, it could cause broodmares to abort their foals. Try a regular pasture mix that contains other ingredients.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 PM

gotta' love HEAVY equipment....wish i had a dozer, gets kinda' old dodgin' stumps on a tractor!!!

a little advice: whatever brush is left over after you harvest the timber should be positioned so that it creates an obstacle (or funnel) for deer so that you have a clear shot a deer from your treestand..
Old 12-08-2004, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the recommendations

gotta' love HEAVY equipment....wish i had a dozer, gets kinda' old dodgin' stumps on a tractor!!!
LOL! It sure gets old and bumpy!

And when we get done with this area there will be a line of tree's to work as a funnel and we have another 16 acres that holds hardwood that we won't touch, maybe some controlled burning later on.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

wish i had a dozer
No, you don't. They sure are nice when they are working, but when they break down...[:@] Doh!!! They are difficult to fix because everything on them weighs a ton.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be sure to leave a few bushes/trees when you clearcut. Its amazing how a few Islands of older brush/with a couple trees will attract and hold whitetails in a young clearcut. It helps them feel a bit more secure when feeding in the daylight hours - and eventually will provide you with some trees to hang stands on!

Good luck - Follow the Soil Sample for Lime if needed.

Call your Agrigultural Extension office for ideas on a good southern pasture mix.

FH