Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck dispersment and QDM?

Old 07-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-11-2002, 03:46 PM

Default RE: Buck dispersment and QDM?

A very interesting topic!

Just curious, do does disperse in any logical manner? Also, if you shoot off larger numbers of does, do other does quickly fill this void that contains good food sources?

Old 07-11-2002, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

stinky - thanks, I would like to see a copy, and I would also consider joining.

Staightarrow - I do not think does disperse like bucks at all.
Here is a pretty good study on Doe Home areas: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/2...at/discuss.htm

However, I too would be curious how quickly other does "fill the void" when one is harvested. I would assume its like fishing, when a large fish is removed form a prime lie, another takes its place. I just have no idea how long after with deer, and I wonder if other dominant does would "upgrade" their homerange (I doubt it)It seems more likely a wandering 1-1/2 year old would fill the void quicker than another doe given BSK's time frame for buck dispersement and an early doe harvest.

I've learned alot on this topic, and Its helped me to look at our management plan from a different angle.

Thank you all.

Edited by - farm hunter on 07/11/2002 19:33:01

Edited by - farm hunter on 07/12/2002 23:33:13
Old 07-11-2002, 07:10 PM

spike,
By diversity do you mean open timber, golden rod fields, red brush and new undergrowth? My property was logged 2 years ago down to 12 inches (about 40 acres). So most of it looks the same except the goldern rod fields(3acres) of course. Most of the neighbors propery is open hard woods with some good patches of red brush. So how would you set up 3 acre patches in this situation.
Thanks,
eddie
Old 07-11-2002, 09:03 PM
Spike

It is my understanding that does "fill the void" left by the agressive harvesting of their sisters by simply increasing their reproductive rate. Keep in mind that there sould be plenty of food sources to support these new offspring, since the many of the older does are no longer eating, they're being eaten! And, assuming the new offspring are born at roughly a 50:50 male to female ratio, the "replacements" will help balance the buck to doe ratio.

Old 07-12-2002, 07:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

farm hunter we had a QDMA seminar today and that very topic was covered in detail. A yearling buck will relocate from 1 to 5 miles away. If you want to keep him on your property, shoot his mama. If you have a chance to attend a QDMA seminar in your area, don't miss tha chance.

Old 07-14-2002, 07:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

FH, the PA game commission did an article on this subject in the game news a while back, if I can find it I will send it to you. From the jist of the article its the mature does that rule the roost , chasing their young bucks to new territories. So by the article I would target mature does which is QDMA philosphy anyway.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

FH, I just looked through and found the 2 articles that Chris Rosenberry a biologist from the PGC wrote in the June and July issues of the Game news on this subject, If you would like me to send them to you, Email me your address and I'll send them up to you.

Quick Reply: Buck dispersment and QDM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.