Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Looking to buy some hunting land (need advice) >

Looking to buy some hunting land (need advice)

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Looking to buy some hunting land (need advice)

Old 11-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Looking to buy some hunting land (need advice)

I'm looking to buy some hunting land but I don't know where to start. I'm pretty open on where to buy the land. I just want it within a 90 minute drive. Do most people go through realtors when looking for hunting land? I guess I would prefer to avoid realtor's but I know nothing about buying land.

It seems like the really good hunting land is way out of my price range.

This is probably a bad place for this post but I thought you guys would have some input.

Any advice?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:39 PM

Default RE: Looking to buy some hunting land (need advice)

Start checking the area papers, the want ads may be a good place to start. The going price may shock you, thou. Sometimes recently logged land can be picked up a little cheaper than a wooded site. But a few years and it will be a haven for deer, etc. If a place looks good, contact them and make a personal inspection before going farther. ONe thing to be careful of, make sure that they have a clear deed.

Russ
Old 11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go to the area you desire and ride around for a few hours, you might see an old handpainted pywood sign stuck up by a farmer or local guy that wants to sell direct and avoid the realtor too. Stop occasionally and talk to the people in the area, yeah old Gus been talking bout selling his woods, he really needs the money , why dontcha stop n see em... You get my drift......
Old 11-17-2004, 06:48 PM

I own my own land, but why not just trespass on someone elses land like others do! It is good to see someone wanting to buy their own land. Do a search on yahoo under real estate, that is how I found mine. Look for the most unusable land, I mean hilly, brushy land that is no good for building but great for hunting. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wish you were closer by, we have a few thousand acres for sale. What kind of prices do tracts of land bring in your area? Say 100 acres or so.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Rack, I'm sure land price is alot higher near Rogers than here in Bemidji. One option you may look into is going to the potlatch corporation web sight. Their a major logging operation and the largest land owners in MN. This year they started selling off some of their land and leases to the public. The web site shows the chunks they have up listed by county if I remember right. most are in northern Mn and most have been logged off in the past 5 years. Theirs pro's/con's to that. You bid over the net, so it's easy to do. I was the lucky bidder on a 60 acre parcel that was adjacent to my 380 acre parcel this october. I put a bid of $350 an acre kind of as a joke, and low and behold I got it. I believe they have some leases up for grab also in the Park Rapids area. Some are 100-600 acres. If I remember the price range was somewhere in the $1000-2000 year range, which is alot cheaper than buying. On their leases, you have EXCLUSIVE rights to the property. Each year the lease is up for grabs, BUT YOU ALWAYS get first option as I understand it. If you choose not to renew, then it goes on auction.I have several friends that have had 40-80 acre leases from Potlatch for many years and have never had problems with it.Might be an option for you to look into. Taz
Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

tazimna,

WOW, I'm glad I asked. The next auction is in the spring. I'm sure I'll find something to bid on. In the mean time I think leases are the way to go for me. I didn't think they'd be so reasonable so I never seriously considered leasing. I already found 2 pieces of land that I'm going to try to lease. they are 40 acres for $300 each. You can't beat that.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to drive around one of the areas on saturday morning, both to look at the properties up for lease and to see if I can find something for sale.

oh, as far as hunting land in rogers, there isn't any. But, my inlaws live about 30 minutes away. 4 years ago they sold 50 acres for $2500 an acre. Now, the guy that bought it from them is asking a whopping $15,000 an acre. ouch!!!! the best stand I ever hunted is on that land [:@]

Russ Otten, we share the same last name
Old 11-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Rack, did you get a chance to walk through some of the lease properties? Taz
Old 11-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weirdest thing! I picked two properties and made the 2 hour drive out there. I get out there and there are no tresspassing signs with a guys name on it from my wife's home town 2 hours away. I think, you know, that name sounds kind of familiar. Turns out is my wife's cousin. hehe. I'll have to ask him about the land, potlatch website says it's available next year. small world. I didn't even know he hunted.

The land looked really really thick with young trees. not many big enough for a stand. i bowhunt, it'd be pretty darn hard to get an arrow through there. I went to the other property and that has been logged within the last couple months. they are still clearing it. I'm going to pick a couple more and try to get out to take another look in the next couple weeks.

I'll keep looking.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ground in Southern IL is 1900-2500 per acre. Little too rich for my blood.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy some hunting land (need advice)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.