Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

[Deleted]

Old 03-04-2002, 03:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2002, 05:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One Large Plot vs Several Small Plots

Based on my experiences the larger the plot the less of the crop is utilized. The deer use the edges of the field where they have cover but areas that are wide open to view or near traffic are much less used.

I totally agree with BSK that deer would use any plot more if it's unhunted or secluded. In that situation you could get away with larger plantings. I would recommend strips of crop planted along cover if you want to guarantee the most usage. Expand the plantings the next year where the crops are the most heavily used.

There are other things that will affect the usage:
- deer population: the larger the population the bolder the deer with get to reach the food
- uniqueness of food: if you plant 1 acre of clover next to a 100 acre clover field the deer will feed where they're most secure

Dan O.

Edited by - dan o. on 03/04/2002 19:44:04
Old 03-04-2002, 06:38 PM

A friend of mine planted a 10 acre food plot 5 years ago and he said the only part they used was the edges. So this spring he is going to re-plant in 1 to 2 acre plots.

I myself have a small farm in N.Y. that we have been practicing QDM on for 5 years now. We have about 4 food plots one thats about 3/4 acre, two about 1 acre each and one about 1/2 acre. They all get used. I think the key things that you need to consider is planting out of sight of roadways and close to cover. You want the deer to be comfortable with using them.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member QDMA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 03-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Spike

i have read several times that the smaller food plots have more positive effects then just planting one large food plot
Old 03-05-2002, 07:53 AM

I have to agree with others. More smaller plots seem the ticket rather than one big one. My neighbor put in a 5 acre clover patch and he get's varied use but as others said edge mostly. I like my plots cause they're in the woods where the deer has cover real close they can duck into if needed.
......my 2...marty
Old 03-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

We agree with BSK on this one... stay away from salt based fertilizers...
Old 03-05-2002, 02:53 PM

I would use the small plots so that the deer will not have to travel as far to get to the plot. And if you could put it close to bedding areas it would reduce the amount of exposure the deer would probably get to hunters.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Small plots 1-2 acres are ok for clover or annual plots, but mostly for attraction. BSK is right about bigger plots for nutrition, 3-5 acres are good. We keep one 4 acre feild in our best clover and 3 plots of 1-2 acres for hunting on. You can split a large feild in two but planting a two acre strip in the center and other crops on either side. The corn gives the deer daylight security and two separate food plots on either side to hunt over. If you plan to plant corn, don't even think of less than 2 acres if you want ears available for the winter (been there). 5-6 acres is about right for us
Old 03-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

farmhunter; how many deer do you carry on your plantings? I'm just wondering if you're drawing them in for a snack or if they graze and bed there?

Dan O.

Edited by - dan o. on 03/05/2002 19:27:00

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.