Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Any Suggestions on Soybean Varieties? >

Any Suggestions on Soybean Varieties?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Any Suggestions on Soybean Varieties?

Old 10-08-2004, 08:35 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default Any Suggestions on Soybean Varieties?

Are there different soybean varieties that rebound better from deer browse? Or are you pretty much at the mercy of the deer munching away to their hearts content?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Any Suggestions on Soybean Varieties?

I know if you have a lot of deer you need to plant at least 10 acres to get a lot of good out of beans.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

No beans handle deer browsing well. 15" rows, extra acres can really go a long ways with soybean - make sure you supply enough inoculant, P&K.

Really - you have to look at soybeans as a summer forage plot - anythng else is a BONUS.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:56 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Thanks, farm hunter!

Are there different soybean varieties that rebound better from deer browse? Or are you pretty much at the mercy of the deer munching away to their hearts content?

I was afraid of that. Is it a good idea to add P&K plus inoculant every year as well? Does that help them rebound a little faster from some browse?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

You want a schedule 4 seed, which is long season, and I would get Roundup ready for the weed control, either drill them in 7 in rows or no wider that 15 in rows. Dekalb has a good 444 variety and Asgrow has a 4702 which is long term. They will cost about $28.80 per unit , which is 50# you should plant about 75 lbs per acre.....
Old 10-09-2004, 08:49 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Guys, I appreciate the feedback!

Ron, I'm admittedly a simple city boy. What is a "schedule 4" soybean? Just for my own knowledge, why would a long season soybean be better? Also, are there any drawbacks to longer season soybeans?

Also, will applying a 0-60-60 fertilizer really help the growth of the beans?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

4 is a full season, 3 usually goes in after wheat, long season gives you longer season for deer to feed , if you put in a schedule 3 put it in later like 4th of July area, When soybeans are labeled like corn the length of growing season is in the numbers , like 4702 and 4800 are your longest beans, 3902 38-52 are shorteer season. corn is the same way add 55 to your first 2 numbers and that will give you the length of your growing season in days. e.g. 63-08 is 118 day growing season.. Remember the longer the growing season the better the yield....... We just harvested 1600 acres corn that was planted in April and May, with great yields. Now we are working on the full season beans...... 2000 acres Schedule 4's then about the same of beans after wheat which wont yield as much due to a shorter growing season....