Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Rats in the feeder

Old 09-29-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Rats in the feeder

I have a large protein feeder that holds around 20 to 30 bags of protein. First the feral hogs got into it and ate $150 worth of protein. So I put a hog panel fence around it that I cemented into the ground. Now I have big fat rats getting into it. I poisoned one of them but more are back.

The feeder is a gravity feed feeder with the spouts around 2 feet off the ground. It is around 8 ft high x 4 ft wide and 8 feet long and is build on skids.

Any ideas? I'm out of ideas.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rats in the feeder

Feeding rats protein will make them B&C trophies real soon.
Seriously, this is too easy. The feeder spouts needs to be 3' off the ground. Look at the height specs of all the commercial feeders in JTTH magazine. Use a hydraulic jack and raise it with pieces of railroad tie.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

There goes the neighborhood, time to move.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would be careful with the poison, unless you can set it up so only the rats get it and your game cant get to it..... a .22 might work best in daylight
Old 09-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the location. If you have access to some Jack Russells you can reduce the population quickly. Wait until after dark, then spot light the feeder and let the dogs go. The rats must have shelter close by (old buildings, etc.). These can be hunted also.

Dan O.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:24 PM

Here we either get the guns out with some bait. Or find their holes and use gas or get some terriers and spades and dig them out. Hours of fun!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:55 PM

I was thinking, if you happen to have some C-4 in the workshop, try that? I not, try what these other people suggested.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:18 PM

sounds like a good excuse to try one of these "nice" air guns (actualy a cheap yet accurate will do...but that wouldn't be as fun) put a laser on it and sit at night quietly popping 'em. It could become your new favorite past-time.

OR....go to a local animal shelter and find the most hideous, scruffy, he-man of a pissed-offed looking Tomcat. Put ephedra in his water, grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy the show!