Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

WildlifeSolutions?

Old 09-20-2004, 10:23 AM

Default WildlifeSolutions?

I am considering starting a small business in southern middle Tenneseee?
I would install foodplots, treestands, management advice, stand placement advice, trail cam pics, clear shoting lanes, site in rifles, etc?
Does anyone know if anyone has attempted something like this before?
Would there be a demand?
Would anyone be interested in these services if this business was in your area?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WildlifeSolutions?

You are going to need to establish some kind of credentials first, take agronomy courses, wildlife ,forewstry land management courses, would I have a need for that service , No because I have been involved in farming for over 50 years and can do my own consulting and physical details, as I think most deer hunters like to do as that is part of the hunting experience, work week ends, etc, Might do good in your area, give it a go.....
Old 09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

blue5, I have a good friend of mine that does those types of things for hire here in northern Minnesota. He also has a small landscaping business, so the machinery has a dble purpose. As a "MAIN" source of income, there's no way he could support himself just doing the things you mentioned. I've helped him out some, and he maybe 6-8 "jobs" a summer/fall here. Most are brushing trails and doing some planting/herbiciding for land owners. He bids out at $65/hr when using machinery. It's fun and rewarding work for sure, and he(we) get great kudos from the land owners when done. Downside.....the start up costs are/can be heavy considering equipment needed. If one is looking into creating trails, smoothing trails, tilling soils, etc, one needs some good eqipment that can be costly. A bobcat with accessories, is almost a necessity. Along with a heavy duty tractor for brush cutting/trail making(minimum 65 hp,better 80 or higher). keep in mind equipment failure and damage(hit a stump with brushhog and break blade...$200...ouch). Anyway, the idea is a good one if you don't have to spend big $$$. I'd look at it more as a side job to make some $$$ for your hobbies. Taz
Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Think of it as a sure way to gain hunting access and you've found a gold mine. You could develop a list of contacts to hunt occasionally. Personally I wouldn't let you touch one of my guns though. I just don't loan guns for fear of damage and liability.