Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer are not eating my clover

Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Deer are not eating my clover

My plot is about 4-5 inches high but the deer are not hitting my imperial clover. Is this common until a hard frost or until other browse dies off? Anyone have the same problem?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer are not eating my clover

my uncle has acres of clover and the deer are no where to be found eating it, i dont know what the deal is?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:58 AM

I dont know about there,, but here the acorns are dropping fast,, and the deer are hitting them hard. While there are acorns on the ground, the deer dont care much about other foods,, it seems they prefer the acorns to just about everything,, they quit using my summer plots when the nuts fell,, and are spending all their time deep in the woods.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's the same here except that they're also working the apple trees. Also; how many deer are local to your area for the size of the plot? I've got about 10x as much food supply as the deer can consume. The snow and predators keep the deer population well below the level that they would ever overgraze during the spring, summer or fall.

Dan O.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like the others say, they have plenty of protein to eat and dont need the grazing right now, but they;ll get on there after a bit when other stuff gets a little scarce...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

All summer - the deer have picked their way through the clover - to chow on Soybeans - and Soybeans are still hot here.

With all the apples (huge apple crop this fall!) - the deer won't want for food much during the hunting season - It will be interesting to get some weighed in this season to see if the weights are up.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:58 AM

I would agree with everyone else that they are hitting the acorns right now. Also, should you mow your clover plot when it gets to about 4-5 inches or should you just let it grow?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:32 PM

ir655 -- i would only mow to reduce competing vegetation.... mowing pure stands of clover will only reduce the amount of forage available to deer when they do start hitting it...

my experience over the last few years w/ clover plots is to be patient....this time of year there's an abundance of food for all wildlife and i haven't seen any sign of deer browsing in my ladino clover, either.... in my area, my clover plots are "competing" with local agriculture fields (corn and soybeans everywhere), a few
oaks, persimmon trees, etc. --- in a month, all my competition will be nearly obsolete and presto the deer are thick in my clover
Old 09-15-2004, 08:39 PM

Thank you! I don't have any real 'pure' clover plots, but I am planning to do something for next season. I might start in spring to see how it does first. All I have now is clover mixed into other plot mixes, which is like 4% of the whole content of a 50# bag.

Also, I heard you don't need as much clover seed per acre as with other plot mixes, true?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:09 PM

I don't have any real 'pure' clover plots, but I am planning to do something for next season.
man, i've caught myself saying that before!!! lol, i still haven't seen a "pure" stand of clover --- matter-of-fact, i don't think they exist!!!

i broadcasted inoculated ladino clover at a rate of 3-4lbs per acre (coop guys tell me i'm overseeding)... if my math is correct you have 2 lbs of clover seed in a 50lb consisting of 4% clover, plus 48lbs of additional seed to add a little variety to the food buffet.......

i planted plots last weekend that consist of ladino, ladino w/ rye, and red clover w/ p.t. turnips..... best of luck!

Quick Reply: Deer are not eating my clover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.