Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Round Up

Old 08-25-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Round Up

I am planning on planting wheats oats and rye this weekend in Ga and wanted to know if you could put out round up the same day as you plant it and do u buy just plain old round up or is there anything special abd do u spray the entire area or just the weeds
Old 08-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Round Up

I've always been told that you need to spray at least two weeks in advance of planting.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:28 PM

Yes, you can spray round up and plant the same day. I do it all the time. Round up has done all it is going to do after it has dried. Remember, Round up is a contact killer.

Spray the area you are going to plant. Wait about 30 min to an hour. Disc or prepare ground accordingly, and plant your seed. Me and a friend will be planting our fall food plots here in NC around the first of september.

We mix:
Purple top turnips
Rape
Kale
Few -FEW- Dixie Lee or Cow Peas

Dont put to many peas or they will shade your other seed. The peas only serve to give some immidiate vegetation here and there throughout the plot while the other seed germinates and begins to grow. At 2 weeks your peas will already be about a foot tall.

Good luck and have fun & remeber the God that makes it all possible.

Mike
Old 08-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roundup IS a contact spray - but it does not kill on contact. Up to 2 weeks can be required to effectively kill the plant - If you disk & plant the same day as spraying - roundup will not be very effective.

QUOTE Below - I did not write this:

"The active ingredient of Roundup is the isopropylamine salt of glyphosate Glyphosate (N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine, C3H8NO5P) is used as a non-selective herbicide to kill weeds, especially perennials.

It kills plants by inhibiting their ability to make aromatic amino acids, which is an interesting target since only plants and microorganisms have this metabolic pathway. Some new crops have been bred to be resistant to it.

The name is a contraction of glycine, phospho-, and -ate. It was first sold by Monsanto under the tradename Roundup but is no longer under patent so is now marketed under various names.
..... Click the link for more information. . Glyphosate's mode of action is to inhibit an enzyme An enzyme is a protein, or protein complex, that catalyzes a chemical reaction in an organism. Within biological cells many chemical reactions occur, but without enzymes they would happen too slowly to sustain life. Enzymes speed up reactions by a factor of one thousand times or more.

An RNA enzyme or "ribozyme" is made of RNA instead of protein. Generally ribozymes only catalyze RNA splicing.
..... Click the link for more information. involved in the synthesis of the amino acids In chemistry, an amino acid is any molecule that contains both amino and carboxylic acid functional groups. In biochemistry, this shorter and more general term is frequently used to refer to alpha amino acids: those amino acids in which the amino and carboxylate functionalities are attached to the same carbon.

OverviewAmino acids are biochemical building blocks. They form short chemical chains called polypeptides or peptides which in turn form structures called proteins (see below).
..... Click the link for more information. tyrosine

Tyrosine (from the Greek tyros, for "cheese", where it was first discovered), 4-hydroxyphenylalanine, or 2-amino-3(4-hydroxyphenyl)-propanoic acid, is one of the 20 amino acids that are used by cells to synthesize proteins. It plays a key role in signal transduction, since it can be tagged (phosphorylated) with a phosphate group by protein kinases to alter the functionality and activity of certain enzymes. Other important biological functions of tyrosine are as a precursor of the thyroid hormone, thyroxine and of the biologically active catecholamines, dopamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline.
..... Click the link for more information. , tryptophan Tryptophan is an amino acid and essential in human nutrition. It is one of the 20 amino acids in the genetic code (codon UGG), and its symbol is Trp or W.

Molecular formula: C11H12N2O2
Molecular weight: 204.23
Isoelectric point: pH 5.89
CAS number: 73-22-3
Tryptophan is also a precursor for serotonin, a neurotransmitter, and melatonin, a neurohormone.
..... Click the link for more information. , and phenylalanine

The amino acid Phenylalanine exists in two forms, the D- and L- forms. L-Phenylalanine(LPA, C9H12NO2) is a neutral amino acid found in proteins, coded for by DNA. Its mirror image, D-phenylalanine (DPA), can be synthesized artificially.

L-phenylalanine is used in the human body, where it is an essential amino acid. L-Phenylalanine can also be converted into tyrosine. Tyrosine is converted into L-dopa, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. D-phenylalanine can only be converted into phenylethylamine.
..... Click the link for more information. . It is absorbed through foliage and translocated to growing points. Because of this mode of action it is only effective on actively growing plants; it is not effective as a pre-emergence herbicide. Due to the absorption being limited to foliage, soil-bound glyphosate is effectively inert. "
Old 08-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

RU has to work its way to the roots, it will take at least several days. can you not broadcast the seeds over the existing vegetation and then spray roundup afterwards. that method should work, especially with the really small seeds.

if you spray and wait 2 weeks, then disturb the soil (disk or cultivate or whatever) to plant the seeds, you're starting right back over with a new flush of weed seed.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:59 AM

I am basing my information from experience and advice from Donny Lassiter, who has a MS in Agriculture Science from NC State Univ. and who also owns "Cyprus Knee Chufa" cypruskneechufa.com . This is exactly what he told me and it has NEVER failed to work as I have over 4 acres in food plots that are virtually weed free, ranging from : Chufa, Dixie Lee peas, Chicory/clover, brassicas, wheat/rye, and Iron clay peas.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike Syverson
Old 08-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

RU is a systemic chemical , it has to get to the root system, if you spray then disc you disrupt the root system thus the process. You are combining two kinds of farming methods, no-till and conventional till, and it probably will be conflictive. I would just dic it up several times , forget the RU as you are just wasting money . get a good seedbed then seed it...