Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What next?

Old 08-04-2004, 12:40 PM

Default What next?

I have added a couple of small food plots to my property and am now thinking of taking it one step further thus the question what next?
I have 50+ acres that is heavily wooded with mostly beech trees and some red oaks. There is also a small meadow aprox 1 acre that has been planted.
What I'd like to work on now is habitat the deer can use as a core area. I know it'll have to be a thick nasty tangle and still there is no guarentee that the deer will like it, only they will know. I'm sure this will take the cutting of some trees to open up the canopy but once that is done what can I do to cultivate a core area.

Some of my thought on what to plant,
Raspberrys or other vine type browse & Spruce or hemlock

Any other suggestions for what to plant for bedding cover?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What next?

Adams -

I've dealt with a similar issue, except I was just trying to increase bedding areas. What we ended up with was clearing or thinning a section, and cultivating a "lone pine" or hemlock in the middle. Through trial and error we came up with this method - We call it the Lone Pine effect.

Basically what happens with the clearing is that Blackberry bushes quickly establish (at least on our property) also some goldenrod, and usually hardwood seedling growth. But that alone did not increase bedding by the deer - at least not enough to make a big difference. We found that if a young pine or hemlock (10ft-20ft tall) was left, the area around it would establish as expected, but very near the pine - the area usually remained relatively open - which we found was important - to encourage bedding.

I kind of explain it like this: If I was trying to hide from an enemy, or predator - I would never jump into "tight quarters" to hide - because I would lose many of my other senses - imagine hiding in a road culvert - should you be discovered - the jig is up.

The lone pine scenario offers an open veiw inside the thicket - as well as a little rain/snow relief in inclement weather. It works well enough, that when hunting anywhere - I pay special attention to lone pines in any cover.

You might want to consider this option, or a similar one when trying to increase your "buck bedroom" options.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:37 AM

Thanks Farm Hunter,

Thats is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. I've got a decent amount of property to try some diffrent methods. I have a very good idea of where I can try this out.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Adams
Old 08-05-2004, 10:41 AM

Very interesting post on the LONE PINE. I have never heard that but it makes a lot of sense. In SE Ohio we don't have any native growing pine or evergreen but it may be worth a try to plant some.

A method I have used is simply dropping "Trash Trees" in a small area to create a jungle of tree-tops, brush, etc that gets taken over into a nasty tangle once the sunlight does its work over a few months or a growing season. My tangles are filled with grapevines, multi-flora rose, sapplings & anything else that was in the forest floor as seeds or blew in. They are used a lot by deer for bedding and browse. It is very difficult to get through for us, but the deer go through it like its nothing. I also think this is good for long-term changes if wanted, the tree tops protect the saplings that end up growing up through the tangles. I've done them in small chunks, but have a friend who did this with several acres and it worked well as a sanctuary.

Good luck!