Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

FOOD PLOT FOR NUTRITION

Old 07-20-2004, 09:39 AM

Default FOOD PLOT FOR NUTRITION

I am looking for some suggestions on what to plant for deer. I own 90 acres in SE Ohio. I have an old plot I just killed and am ready to plant. The PH level is good. I cannot decide what to plant. The plot is only about 1/2 to 3/4 acre in size now. I don't plan to hunt it, just want to better the nutrition for racks and fawn production.

I would like to have something they can eat all year or as close to it. The soil is pretty moist and gets descent light. What do you recommend, straight Whitetail Imperial Clover, some kind of mix like Alfa-Rack, or a blend such as Clover, Brassicus and Grains? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:22 PM

Default RE: FOOD PLOT FOR NUTRITION

I would recommend Cabela's Fall forage select. It has a good blend and it will reseed itself year after year. I put in two smaller plots with this product earlier this year. And the deer seem to love it. I had to put plot saver around one of them last week because they were hitting it so hard. Just my $.02.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:42 PM

In my opinion with moist soil you mentionedthe Imperial Clover is hard to beat. I've had one field in for 4 years. The thing I like best is it doesn't need to reseed in the summer and die for it to come back like the Cabelas stuff.

Mine stays green all year. My partner in MO has had good luck also. Two votes for the IC.

I've tried straight brassica and the brassica blends from New Zealand and they don't seem to draw until it gets cold as hell. Once it does they eat it up in a short time and its gone. Especially with a small plot like your talking about.

Good luck.

JH
Old 07-29-2004, 02:12 PM

I'll second Imperial clover. I planted a 1/2 acre plot in may and it's knee high now. Planting was as easy as following the instruction and sweating a lot.lol

It is good top quality forage that stays green all year. As mention above it is a perenial and will last upto 5 year from a single planting.

I also planted a small 900 sq ft plot of powerplant. This has really taken hold and the deer are in it a lot. It's an annual so it would have to replanted year after year but i've got as much forage in a 30' x 30' plat of powerplant as I have in a 1/2 acre of Imperial clover. They're complementing each other very nicely.

For pics see: http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=695337
Old 07-29-2004, 09:04 PM

Marc, I would bet that you are from Indiana. Plant Ladino white clover. It will be good forage for deer all year round. They will dig through the snow to get at it. And it will still be green. This won't matter if I lose the bet and you are from Florida.terry
Old 07-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Let me put in my vote for the imperial clover. I've tested them side by side and my results were quicker growth and better usage with the Imperial. The costs were basically the same. I can't say which lasted longer, I disked up the straight ladino after one year.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I'll put in my vote for Imperial Clover too. It has performed the best for us here in West Virginia.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-02-2004, 06:08 AM

Everyone, thank you for the input!!! I appreciate the feedback.

I planted Imperial Whitetail Clover, mixed with just a few pounds of Brassicas & some Oats. I am hoping to develop a good 4 to 5 year Clover plot here & I through in the others just for good measure this Fall & Winter.

I am working on opening up 2 more plots. Both are in the vicinity of the first plot, one will be a small plot of around 1/4 (Power Plant!!) and the other will be around 1/2 acre or more. I will get them cut-out in September.

The question I have is will I have enough time to plant something this fall & should I just spread something easy like grains to help with the PH?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:10 AM

Imperial clover can be planted in the fall. In SE Ohio today would be a good day to plant.

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/in...nting/fall.php

Quick Reply: FOOD PLOT FOR NUTRITION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.