Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Plans for Home made  Mechanical feeders >

Plans for Home made Mechanical feeders

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plans for Home made Mechanical feeders

Old 02-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Plans for Home made Mechanical feeders

georgia is about to pass a baiting law allowing the use of mechanical feeders. Of course they are'nt going to let us do whatever we want, they are going to charge a $25 fee for a permit for each one per year.

So I was thinking of building a hopper to attacha mechanical speader to. Any Ideas??

I was thinking of a wood framed hopper with some plastic sheet (like sheet metal) as the liner to funnel it down to the hole. That way I can make it big enough to hold a couple hundred pounds of feed. Instead of the little five gallon bucket feeders. I cant afford to buy a Sweeny type (poor mans' budget!)

I figure I could build a heavy duty one for less than 100 bucks including the speader.

Any body ever built one?
Old 02-24-2002, 12:02 PM

Default RE: Plans for Home made Mechanical feeders

get you the biggest metal garbage can you can they are 35 gal.,put a threaded bolt through it to keep it from collapesing when you put the feed in it.put a wire or small cable from one end of the bolt to the other end,make it short enough to bind the lid so it is a little hard to get off,to keep varmits out.put your feeder unit to the bottom.the can will hold a little over 100 lbs.that will last for a mo.
get a cheap boat wench to pull the feeder up,you can fix all this for less than $75.00.will last you years and years.
game country day II, or moultre econo feeder.both are good,I have them both.
good luck.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Look around and you will find 55 gallon plastic drums that they use to ship olives and peppers from Greece and Italy. They work perfect to put a feeder on.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:22 PM

What i do is use either a 30 or 55 gallon metal drums. i burn them out with a charcoal lighter fluid and then wash them out. i put 1" squire tubing legs on them . a local welding shop might do it cheap if you dont have a wire welder or mig. i use game country motors . all in all i usually can have about 45 in them. i do get a good deal on motors but you dealer can order them for about $32 @ piece. tubing avg. $8 a 20' stick enough for three 6' legs. anyway thats how i do it.

i cant believe they are charging you to have a feeder. what is the fine if you dont have a permit?
Old 02-26-2002, 01:23 PM

I have used a 55 gallon plastic drum before. All that you need to do is build a platform. Cut the bottom off the plastic drum with a skill saw. lift the drum abut 3"-4" inches off the platform. one good thing about using plastic is that its easy to work with. I hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soarkrebel, I dont want to find out the hard way.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:13 PM

no mike i dont think i would want to be the example either. i can see it now in court. you have been charged with failure to pay feeder fees. how do pleed. they are going to get there money somehow huh.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:00 PM

I just bought a Game Country feeder w/ a 30 gallon bucket that holds 100# of corn.
$99 at cabelas.com.
You can set the feeder to go off 12 times a day at whatever time you desire. Of course you wont use it 12 times a day but the versatility is great.
I felt that price was great and it saved me a lot of aggrevation in tracking down the different parts for a home made feeder.
It was worth it!
Old 02-28-2002, 05:38 PM

BOWDADDY , if you were closer to arkansas i could have sold you a higher quality one for then same price. same motor just heavier built. i like the game country motors, just make sure you check the distance between the funnel and spinner. if it's to large a gap the deer will hit the feeder and knock corn out. they cleaned me out of 200 lbs of corn in two days until i fixed the problem . it was a 55 gallon drum. also get clean corn i have had corn cobs jam the spinner.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:51 AM

I dont have the bucks to spend on the high dollar feeders. What i did was i went to the hardware store and bought 10 ft. sections of the black lightweight drain line. Cost about $5 each, cut them in half, tied them to trees or stakes and cut out a small opening on the side to allow the feed to drain out as it is eaten. A 5 ft section will hold about 25 pounds of corn. Cheap,easy to install and works great. Good hunting

Ashley Grier

Quick Reply: Plans for Home made Mechanical feeders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.