Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Herbicide or not

Old 06-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Herbicide or not

I have 102 acres which have about 20 acres of food plots the routine is to use herbicides roto and then plant. Is this ok?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Herbicide or not

If the herbicides are glyphosate - then sure.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found this in a document by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources regarding wildlife food plots:

Food plots consisting of mixtures of grains can be broadcast and then very lightly disked and/or cultipacked to cover the seed. Pure corn food plots do best if drilled in rows. Pure sorghum food plots can be broadcast or drilled; however, the broadcast method requires a higher seeding rate and a light disking to cover the seed. Don’t use herbicides or excessivecultivation on food plots. Annual weeds such as foxtail, common ragweed, lamb’s-quarters, and barnyard grass will produce additional seed and cover in the wildlife food plot.

I can add that herbicides can drastically change the vegetation structure of the application area. It may also be residual in the soil and may hamper whatever you plant. My advice would be to not use it. For one thing, when herbicides change vegetation structure and height, it may be detrimental to alot of wildlife that rely on insects for food. Since changing vegetation means insects can be reduced or not as available. This is especially hard on young ground-living birds like turkeys because young turkeys,grouse, quail etc rely on insects for food. So by changing the vegetation you risk forcing young birds to forage longer and farther which exposes them to increased predation.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:22 PM

If what they say about Glyphosates is true, there will be no residue. I also beleive that an acre or so in a food plot won't affect the food sources for turkeys, quail, etc. It may be a problem where a person is doing 100's of acres, but most of us don't live in Texas. My 4-quarter acre plots is a drop in the bucket on my little 100+ acre farm. And that is about the size for most of us on this board. Different locales call for different applications.

Russ
Old 06-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

We are talking Glyphosate. The land is pretty much just managed for game with a small homestead area. I hunt alot of organic farms and just like the idea when it comes to eating venison. I will probably go "organic" next year.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Russ otten

If what they say about Glyphosates is true, there will be no residue. I also beleive that an acre or so in a food plot won't affect the food sources for turkeys, quail, etc. It may be a problem where a person is doing 100's of acres, but most of us don't live in Texas. My 4-quarter acre plots is a drop in the bucket on my little 100+ acre farm. And that is about the size for most of us on this board. Different locales call for different applications.

Russ
I could use the same arguement regarding your food plots. 1 total acre of food plots doesn't really benefit any wildlife but that is another issue. Herbicides can move around in the ecosystem (no im not an expert on the different types) and I can't really think of any time when they would be necessary in relation to food plots.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

BA, there are many times where herbicides can be benefical to food plots. If you spray before seeding, it kills out existing vegetation making it easier to establish a quality plot. If you spray after germination you can extend the lifespan of a plot by reducing the competition.

According to articles I've read some perennial plots have lasted 5-6 years when grasses were controlled by applying herbicides and adjacent non-treated fields lasted 2-3 years.

That's two good reasons to use herbicides. Not, as you say, "necessary" but they certainly make common sense.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PopGunWill

BA, there are many times where herbicides can be benefical to food plots. If you spray before seeding, it kills out existing vegetation making it easier to establish a quality plot. If you spray after germination you can extend the lifespan of a plot by reducing the competition.
The same thing could be accomplished by mowing or otherwise mechanically removing the vegetation then tilling.

ORIGINAL: PopGunWill
According to articles I've read some perennial plots have lasted 5-6 years when grasses were controlled by applying herbicides and adjacent non-treated fields lasted 2-3 years.

That's two good reasons to use herbicides. Not, as you say, "necessary" but they certainly make common sense.
More like two reasons, but not good reasons. I'm not a fan of herbicides as you can see.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:49 AM

Herbicides are not necessary but are benificial in many cases. Remember they are just a tool to help improve your crop. And I should add they are nothing to be afraid of if used according to directions. It has been our experience that without them we have never raised a thing. We probably could if we wanted to invest in a cultivator plus a lot of other expensive equipment. But that is hard to do for just a few acres of food plots.

In other words, if you have a problem that herbicides or pesticides will help correct, use them responsibly. There is no danger from them when used correctly but can be a big reward in the outcome of your project.

Ezzy
Old 06-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ezzy333

There is no danger from them when used correctly but can be a big reward in the outcome of your project.

Ezzy
Yes there is...I pointed out one example in one of my previous posts.

Quick Reply: Herbicide or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.