Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Rack Master

Old 06-21-2004, 08:24 AM

Default Rack Master

I am only 15 and only have been deer hunting for a few years but i have been bird hunting for many but my question is there any other product like bio logic rack master and imperial. I have been planting cow peas and other stuff like soybeans and such. But the deer eat them up so fast the dont get past ancle high. What i want to know is if i use another product will they mature faster or what. i dont want to do clover b/c it is a real slow maturer.but what do yall think .
Will
Old 06-21-2004, 08:43 AM

Default RE: Rack Master

Her3e's what I am planning for this fall. I plan to put in about an acre of Oats, with Ladino clover mixed in. The Oats will be a nurse cover for the Clover. The deer will eat on the Oats, and after the frost, the Clover will hopefully take over. I will till in August, let the weeds come up and hit them with Roundup. Then broadcast the seed without disturbing the soil.
Keep checking back, as many more may give you more ideas.

Russ
Old 06-21-2004, 10:19 AM

Yea, i was thinking about doing that but i dont know about any grass or fast growing plant that would cover peas. I mean cow peas and soybeans are like ice cream to the deer here in south carolina cowpeas will come up with in a week with some rain so i dunno.
Will
Old 06-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-21-2004, 05:35 PM

See here in south carolina from about late may to early september it is in 87 to about 99 degrees so oats wouldnt work well expect in the fall. At my club during the winter we do a field with mostly oats then in the spring plant corn. But stop at that. Then i have a little plot of dirt at my stand....... it is actually a road with a little strip down the road one way and a nice sized plot in front of it . i was also thinking about getting a product called plot saver but i dont want to pay for it unless i hear some good words from yall. thanks
will
Old 06-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-22-2004, 12:50 PM

Well have anyone of yall tried this thing called plotsaver and did it work.,...... any tips
Old 06-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Plant more acres or put a fence around your plots until they get a head start. I doubt you will find anything that can grow as fast as you are talking about.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:34 PM

I have not tried the plot saver myslef. I have heard some good things about it. also there are some good pic's. on here showning the plot saver on plots the members have planted.

I called last week about getting some for my plots.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:38 PM

I pulled this back from a previous post.

I had posted this last year when I tried it, and it works. It's a simple bag fence, using white plastic bags from the stores. Little electric fence posts will work. just put a stout string around the perimeter about 30-36" from the ground. Tie plastic bags on it every 3-5 feet. (poke holes in bottom so it don't fill with rain.) Colored bags don't work well. I protected a half acre of Austrian winter peas last year this way and normally the deer would pull them out by the roots as soon as they sprout. The bags must give off a glow at night and with the movement, is just enough to keep them at bay. The cost is mighty cheap, just the posts and some stout string, the bags come free with your purchases. Wind will cause them to bunch up, so you need to check them often. Got the idea from an old timer who uses them to keep deer out of his truck patch. He used nothing but white bags, too. Try it, you'll like it.

Russ

Quick Reply: Rack Master

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.