Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Weeds in clover

Old 05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weeds in clover

It seems I've been hunting too much and the weeds are about 20-24" in my small clover plot. Should I treat the weeds or cut it first and then treat when the weeds are 6-10".

These plots are small enough to hand treat. What is the best chemical to use? Poast?

The plots are Strut & Rut and one is Alpha Rack.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weeds in clover

I can't speak to the Strut N Rut. Not familiar with it, but the Alfa-Rack can be treated. First you need to mow the grass down to 6" and let it grow about two inches of new growth. Then apply the Poast. Make sure you add a surfactant to help it stick to the plants. If you are treating a small area you will be shocked at the amount of Poast you will have to buy. It only comes in 2.5 gallon containers. You may be better off with Vantage, it can be purchased in pints and doesn't need a surfactant.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:38 PM

Poast and Vantage will kill most grasses, but for the weeds you should mow more frequent. That's at least what I have found to help.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll mow it this week.

My local coop does not carry Vantage. I found a source on the internet for $22.50 a pint. Anyone got another source?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My coop ordered Vantage for me. I don't remember what it cost. I bought a gallon of it last year. I did just do my 1 acre imperial clover plot a week and a half ago. I will be checking it out this weekend. I sure hope the stuff worked.

What do most of you guys use to mow your fields? I have a riding lawn mower but the highest setting is about 4 inches. I also have access to a DR Bursh and Field mower but it also cuts to about 3-4 inches. I just don't know if cutting it to 4 inches is too short.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Poast is the same thing as Vantage if it is from the Whitetail Institute..Be careful there is also another product on the market called Vantage which is a glyphosate (herbiced class that round-up is in). So if you use the wrong Vantage it will burn your clover down. Vantage labeled for the Whitetail Inst. is for spraying clovers. Poast has been a widely used vegetable herbicide used for years now. Poast or Poast Plus should be easily available from your local CO-OP. Poast I belive should be cheaper than Vantage
Old 05-11-2004, 02:38 PM

I mow with a brush hog. I try to go slow and cut it up (mulch) as much as possible so that there isn't much of the cutting laying on the top.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:18 PM

Jim,

Where did you find the Vantage for $22.00? I would be interested in buying some myself.

Thanks Chris
Old 05-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

I found Vantage at http://www.pestproducts.com/vantage_herbicide.htm

I wondering if this is the Vantage that is like Roundup. I would check before ordering. I'm going to call them in the next couple of days. I'll post here when I do.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure about the Vantage at Hawgnmans site but I know www.deernutrition.com has the right stuff and it's the same price or cheaper. They sent me mine and gave me good instructions on how to use it. It works great

Quick Reply: Weeds in clover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.