Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Keeping deer out of a newly planted plot? >

Keeping deer out of a newly planted plot?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Keeping deer out of a newly planted plot?

Old 05-07-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Keeping deer out of a newly planted plot?

I'm in the process of planting a 1/2 acre plot of whitetail imperial clover. The filed I'm planting is hidden from view of any roads or houses and the deer frequent this aera a lot. They bed in the thick creek bottom that is adjacent to the field. I am worried that the deer will destroy the plot before it gets a chance to get established.

What are some products or techniques that i can use to keep the deer out of the plot until it takes hold? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Keeping deer out of a newly planted plot?

We use electric fence to keep the deer out of the cantalope fields. Seems to work well. They usually knock it down a few times and then give up.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Must be a tall electric fence beagle,lol...where im from those fences are only like 2feet tall to keep the cows in.. Well adams i am going to be facing the same problem this summer as well because we just got 120acres in ohio and we are going to be putting in some serious hard work of food plots and deer management. What i am going to try is mesh fencing like a green house, its alot of fencing but it is worth it, you put it up like a green house, but the sunlight still gets it and the deer cant.

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 05-07-2004, 11:22 AM

I was thinking about stringing up a bunch of those cheap aluminum pie plates in a criss cross pattern over and along the edges of the plot. I think between the clatter of the banging in the wind and the moon light reflecting off them would spook the deer.

I saw this stuff at home depot last night that wass designed to keep deer away. I bet it would work but I'm not about to cover my plot in powdered coyote urine. I'm sure it would work, but how good? I just want them to leave it alone long enough to get it going.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-07-2004, 11:56 AM

Plant more acerage or kill more does and you won't have to worry about it. TGK
Old 05-07-2004, 03:19 PM

Yeah that plot saver is cool... does realtree or buckmasters support it... Deer can jump pretty high so a fence won't work...
Old 05-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: osiris

kill more does and you won't have to worry about it.
I`ll second that. If you have too many deer for the habitat, you need to improve the habitat or reduce the deer numbers.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:46 PM

I had posted this last year when I tried it, and it works. It's a simple bag fence, using white plastic bags from the stores. Little electric fence posts will work. just put a stout string around the perimeter about 30-36" from the ground. Tie plastic bags on it every 3-5 feet. (poke holes in bottom so it don't fill with rain.) Colored bags don't work well. I protected a half acre of Austrian winter peas last year this way and normally the deer would pull them out by the roots as soon as they sprout. The bags must give off a glow at night and with the movement, is just enough to keep them at bay. The cost is mighty cheap, just the posts and some stout string, the bags come free with your purchases. Wind will cause them to bunch up, so you need to check them often. Got the idea from an old timer who uses them to keep deer out of his truck patch. He used nothing but white bags, too. Try it, you'll like it.

Russ

Quick Reply: Keeping deer out of a newly planted plot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.