Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot Saver type fencing

Old 03-10-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Plot Saver type fencing

LOL.....Well, if anyone has been reading the other posts....you will know why I am laughing.....

If I can get some plots to grow this year.....I was looking at these plot saver border to protect the plots until they are nice and maturing....

Has anyone used this or is there a cheaper way to do this also......everyone has bashed me about spending money on namebrand stuff.....so I am going to try and redeem my soul and ask.....is there a cheaper way?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:04 PM

Default RE: Plot Saver type fencing

I've already posted this.
Use a bag fence. This is very simple, and cheap. WHITE plastic bags that groc's, etc. from Walmart, Kroger and othe stores used to pack your purchases. The colors don't work good. Put posts around the plot, they can be metal fence posts, electric wire stakes, even rebar, etc. abput every 10 feet. String a strong strapping tape or cord around the perimeter of your plot. Then tie the bags to the line. Poke hole(s) in the bottom to drain moisture (they need to flop in the breeze. Place them about 36 inches high and about 5 feet apart. Check often as the wind will cause them to bunch up. I got the idea from an old farmer who grows a truck garden and keeps the moochers out. I've even had some luck keeping turkeys out, too. Don't know why it works, may be they have a UV glow at nite or the movement deters them I've heard that the white flapping is like their upraised tail when danger is present. All I know is that it works for me.

Russ
Old 03-11-2004, 02:02 PM

Did you save the bags from going to the store or were you able to purchase them somewhere in bulk?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:14 PM

I'm a pack rat. I saved the bags, use them for all kinds of projects. But I save the white specifically for fences. I live on a private horse farm, and you would be suprized at the uses for them. We have about 100 acres, 15 for pasture and hay. except for the houses, outbuildings and our 10 acre lake, the rest is mostly timber. My hunting buddy tried to plaant Winter peas for 3 years and the deer rooted them completely out. My 1/2 acre patch last year was the first time he actually saw them growing; all because of the bag fence. Since taking the fence down, they have uprooted half of the plot on one side, away from our shooting house. I plan on putting in Red Clover in that spot.

Russ
Old 03-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Russ, I may plant some peas this year in a wide section of my road, next to the clover plot. If I put a bag fence through the middle of it, it's about 25-30 feet wide, do you think that will keep the deer at bay?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:12 PM

I just read this at buckmasters and thought you may enjoy
Plot Protector
Old 03-11-2004, 06:26 PM

Here is one more linkPlotsaver
Old 03-11-2004, 08:54 PM

I don't know where they got their figures but when you go to Plotsaver the cost for a 3 acre kit without the posts is $100.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:04 PM

Stone Cold,
You need to surround the plot with the bags. It has to appear as a barrier. A line down the middle will just let them feed on both sides, and there goes the peas. My plot was 1/2 acre. It seems that I will need to replant over half this spring. I can salvage one side, but I plan on planting Red Clover in the part that they cleaned out.

Russ
Old 03-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased the plot saver last sumer. It worked very well. Its basically white heavy duty banding material you spray with a deer deterant spray that smells kinda piney. The white branding moves back & forth in the wind. So it works alot like the white grocery bag idea. So you may want to try that, and maybe pick up some deer hinder spray to spray the bags, and posts.
Soon as I took the branding down the deer began entering the field using it. Bucks even rubbed the cedar posts during the fall which I found pretty interesting!

Quick Reply: Plot Saver type fencing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.