Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 If you had one choice of seed to plant >

If you had one choice of seed to plant

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

If you had one choice of seed to plant

Old 03-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Spike

Default RE: If you had one choice of seed to plant

Stone cold did you test your PH? Did you innoculate your clovers from the coop? Most of the brand name stuff is already innoculated. I've had great success with Biologic products. Check out my website at NewAgeWhitetails.com to see some of my food plot plantings from last season.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:04 AM

I did not innoculate the seeds that I bought from the mill. I however did buy a bag of the Imperial whitetail clover that had the innoculant in it. pH was between 5.6 and 5.9. I don't remember exactly. It was a little low but I didn't think that this would make that much of a factor. Everything else was done right.

I talked to Biologic when we were having problems during the growing season. I told them what area I hunted and they told me that they didn't have anything that would thrive in that area. Must be something about the area and the soil that has a hard time growing plots. I know peas and beans grow well. We are in the purple hull pea capital of the world.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

SC, the Imperial needs a 6.5 or better to thrive... We would suggest that a fall planting in the deep south be done to help the seed root before the stress of the deep south heat. Yes, missing one step can result in disaster, especially if it has to do with soil pH... Also, we suggest that if the soil is much more than one point out on the pH scale that the lime or sulphur be allowed to sit in the soil for one planting season ie: spring or fall. This will allow the product to work in the soil.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:33 AM

Lunch Bucket,

Are you telling me that if the pH isn't exactly right, I could not see any growth? I had very few stalks of clover.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:18 AM

In the northeast nothing beats corn? Nutritionally it is not the best but the deer and bear love it. We leave 10 acres standing every year and have harvested two bears, numerous does, and 4 bucks out of it in the past two seasons. What we did was leave most of it standing so the animals feel protected more, but then we ran the tractor over some making shooting lanes from the stand.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:22 PM

for this area i would choose alfalfa first and peas would be my second choice.........
Old 03-11-2004, 05:55 PM

No Clover....Hmm

Assuming we can Lime or the pH is right....Birdfoot Trefoil or Alfalfa a perrenial. Kobe Lespedeza if the soil is acid.

Annual....anytime I could have buckwheat I would, deer devour it. Soybeans are not a bad selection either. If I have a way to plant it like a no till drill and Im in an area that gets July and august moisture, Id say any brassica...common old rape and a forage turnip. (Forage Turnips are way different than garden purple tops)

Great fall crop choice for some may be either oats or wheat with my nod to oats.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

no clover?

then corn

then winter rye

then soybeans
Old 03-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Fork Horn

chicory sprayed with TrophX to increase the sugar content, equals a real sweet draw.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Stonecold,
Rye is the most ph tolerant, but even it really begins to suffer around a ph of 5.0. I had a field that was cleared in the end of August, 2001. The ph was around 4.1. With great moisture and no weeds, I planted annual rye...a can't miss planting!? The rye came up to about 2", and then completely died, on the entire field. The deer never even touched it. In early April the following year, when a little snow still covered the ground, I applied lime at a rate of 4 tons per acre...the soil test recommendation. In mid-to late May I tilled the soil and planted clover. By late July the clover was nearly knee high and a terribly hopeless and unproductive field had been turned into one of the property's best drawing plots.

The ph will be the underlying foundation of the success of your planting, reglardless of the type of seed or fertalizer you use. The ph has to match your planting, or at least be close, or you will see the stunted planting you experienced.

Quick Reply: If you had one choice of seed to plant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.