Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer food plots

Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 PM

Default Deer food plots

Hey y'all,
I'm kind of new in the management scene and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as what to plant for the upstate area of SC. I tried planting clover last season but it didn't fare well. The area I hunt is outside of Marietta towards Pumpkintown and is relatively mountainous. The soil is primarily silty clay with a relatively high moisture content which should help during dry weather. The area is approximately 1.5 acres and is on a South facing slope. What fertilizer and/or lime should I use? Are soil tests necessary to determine this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer food plots

yes - soil test is a must
check with your local extension for more insight and info
its's hard to give advice for SC from NY - but can't go wrong with clover in my opinion
Old 02-10-2004, 07:40 AM

A soil test is super important and must be done to get things to grow to their fullest potential and sometimes at all. Try a mix of clover and chickory as they compliment each other well in myriad comditions. TGK
Old 02-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

wrong post
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Soil samples are a must if you want to stack the odds in your favor. How steep is your area? Can you lime and fertilize?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:44 AM

At least 1/2 of the area is fairly level, maybe slope of 1:10 but drops off pretty sharply at the edges. There is good access via 4 wheeler using an old logging road.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Are you going to use the atv to haul the lime? Do you have a sprayer for the atv?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:01 AM

I reckon but I don't have a sprayer...I was planning on spraying roundup by hand before disking although I guess that will be time consuming...I don't really have the $ for a sprayer now.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:15 AM

A sprayer that attaches to the back of an ATV costs about $90-100 from Tractor Supply. You can build your own boom kit for an additional $15 or so. It will save you a ton of time. Believe me, I have done it the "hard way" and it's not too fun! Good luck. TGK
Old 02-12-2004, 08:43 PM

osiris,
I would interested in how to make a boom for my ATV sprayer? If you could give me some info on what you need to make one, I would apprecite it!

Quick Reply: Deer food plots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.