Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Roasted Soy Beans???

Old 01-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Roasted Soy Beans???

Anybody ever try these in a feeder? I put 200lbs corn and 200lbs roasted soy beans in an older feeder on our property. It will be interesting to see what happens to the beans.

They are higher in protein and mixed with the carbs in the corn, I thought it would be a nice winter combo.

The beans are about $10/100lbs

Any thoughts or ideas???
Old 01-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Roasted Soy Beans???

Somebody posted on here a couple of years ago about using roasted soybeans and said the deer ate them well. We tried whole raw beans this summer with mixed results.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Like to hear more on the roasted soy bean thing. We have found that soy beans themselves are often bitter and suggest that some molassas be added.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard from a friend...that raises "unfriendly" chickens...LOL...that the deer often ate the roasted beans that he fed to his chickens. He would drop some on the ground now and then and the deer would eat them up between his barn and barrels.

I actually tasted a couple, and they weren't bad at all. Actually kind of nutty with a roasted flavor. They were also a lot more tender and chewable than raw corn would be.

I'll let you know what happens. I am heading back to our farm next weekend...weather permitting.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The WV deer demolished my roasted soy beans. They may just be backward hillbilly deer...but I'll take it! Won't be long till I buy another load.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

What is the protein level of roasted soybeans? How about plain dry beans?
Old 01-22-2004, 02:20 AM

I've always used roasted soys in my bear bait mix and they love them and I tried a little amount for deer one year and they seemed to like it but they really did not clean it up.

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 01-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link that says that the soy beans have 38% protein and the roasted have 62%. That has to be total crude protein...Those numbers seem really high.

I seem to remember reading that roasted beans did have 1.5X the protein of regular.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

My old animal nutrition class in college taught me soybeans were between 38 and 46% crude protein depending upon their variety and potentially their moisture %. Some beans had more fiber or oil. I can't imagine roasting would improve their protein content.

Soybeans have to be roasted before feeding to many animals because they have a tryptophan inhibitor that prevents the uptake of some amino acids necessary for muscle growth.

Deer can eat them raw with no ill effects. They must like the crunchy texture or perhaps the change in taste.

I have eaten them. Our Illinois soybean growers sell them as a promotional item. They are not bad, but I'd like them to be a little saltier. They are quite crunchy.

Good luck!

LLBUX
Old 01-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pro-Line, if you can, try that link again or just post it. I am in need of something like that...

Quick Reply: Roasted Soy Beans???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.