Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot size

Old 11-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Plot size

How big do you suggest it be? THe land I' m talkin about is probably only 10 acres of timber all surrounded by fields. There is a small are that opens up that has a row of timber on both sides and has nothing but tall weeds in it right now. I' m thinkin about planting biologic there. How big should I make it?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:48 PM

Default RE: Plot size

Plant the entire area. If it is on ten acres, it can' t be that big. One thing, if it doesn' t get enough sun it may not do too well. Do a soil test this fall and get the area prepared for the spring planting. If lime is needed, you can' t get it on too soon.

Russ
Old 11-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

But I' ve read that you only need a 1/4 acre for every 10 acres of timber. The area gets plenty of sun.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:30 PM

Something got mixed up in my translation. I thought you said that the whole area was 10 acres. Are you now saying that the area where you can make the plot is 10 acres? If that is the case, then 1/4-1/2 acre would be adequate. But I would make strips of various plantings, especially if you haven' t put in any plots before. This will tell you what the deer will prefer and not tie up the plot with something they don' t care about. Also, deer are buffet eaters, they like variety.

Russ
Old 11-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The area I hunt is around 10 acres. The place I have that I am thinking of putting the plot is around 4 acres. Right now I have Biologic clover plus to plant. What else would you recommend to mix in?
Old 11-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is planted in the fields around the bush? You want to plant the cherry on top of the ice cream, not more ice cream.

Dan O.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year there was beans to the east and beans to the west. But to the west there is wheat that is about 3in. tall. I' m sure there will be corn planted to the east next year but I' m not sure if the farmer will double crop the wheat in bean again after being cut next year or not.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Spike

Hey Dan O-
I have a very similar situation to this with crops around my timber. Corn and soybeans surround the plot. What would you suggest for the cherry in my food plot?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rye, oats, rape, clover. Long term; some apples, oaks, persimmons. It' s surprising to see the use that a lone oak tree or apple tree get. Try some of the mixes that Lunchbucket sells. He knows which crops complement each other. It' ll be interesting to see how farm hunter' s sunflowers act as a deer draw.

Dan O.

Old 11-25-2003, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Dan... First and foremost, do soil samples. You need a pH value of 6.0 - 6.5 for just about anything that is any quality in the forage/foodplot value. Do that now and lime if necessary. Beans, wheat and corn are not available to the deer for antler/lactation period although the wheat is good for the winter months because of the carbs. Do you have any clover or alfalfa fields within a 1/2 mile? How large an area are you intending on planting and what would you say your deer concentration per sq. mile is? What is your buck doe ratio?

Quick Reply: Plot size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.