Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brassicas

Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 AM
Spike

Default Brassicas

What has been a successful brassica planting for drawing in late season deer. I’m in northwester Virginia.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

purple top turnips work well for me, if your asking what BRAND, well that will be a personal choice

if your asking if you want to plant one that makes a bulb or not, , then that too is sort of personal
since your more in the south and not going to get as cold of weather and or snow
meaning most of all your deer will be eating the tops, and brassicia's tend to NOT get too desirable to deer till you get some frost to change there flavor(simple explanation)
depending on when your area normally gets frost,m would to me, determine WHAT seeds I used, by checking there growing time frame
every seed normally has one, be it 40 day-50-50-65 day and so on
buying seeds from a good supplier they can answer this info, and you can base your plantings on that! and try and time things so everything is fully GROWN before your normal frost come!