Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot cover

Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default food plot cover

from your experiences how do bucks appreciate food plot outer cover ? little edge cover so they can see into plot or edge cover for security ?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will say YES

I have had a lot of food plots over the yrs, some as large as 8 acres in size, and averaged planting 16 acres of a different plots a yr

the most active day time plots I have had , have been soybean plots, that I would plant about 3 dozen rows of corn around the outer edges, say 15 yards of corn all around a 3 acre soybean plot
them bucks would love to wander the corn and look into the beans and then Dog doe as the rut got going
the whole plot was used MORE in day time by all deer of all ages
also had a lot more day time action in plots with pine/x mas tree's p;anted on 2-3 sides
this way they had FAST get aways and cover, and could scent check the fields too!

so having cover around a plot IMO helps the deer more
NOT always the hunter, as many times they never need to come out of the cover and will HOLD a hot doe inside the cover before they get out into a plot

pro's and con's

same would be for a few plots I had that were next to pine tree farms