Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turkey & deer mountain food plots

Old 02-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey & deer mountain food plots

I've got a spot in the mountains of VA that I'm going to put in some food plots this Spring/Fall. As soon as it unfreezes/dries out, I'll be doing a soil test in the 3 potential areas. The land is mountainous - 1,500' of elevation, 3 of the 4 areas are crappy soil (loamy clay) w/ rocks & get only a little sunlight. The other larger area getting moderate plus sunlight & has better (darker) soil. Will find out exactly what I need to add in terms of Lime & fertilizer soon. I bought a half dozen of WIs seeds to put in some small plots & see what does well & what the deer & turkey like. Anyone have any recommendations on products that might do well for turkey & deer in this setting?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothing will really do well but weeds till the soil PH gets to the point it can GROW things, changing PH takes time, its NOT a dump lime and its a GOOD like deal
best advice might be, trim back as much as you can to get sunlight, , drop tree's using them to direct deer to places you plan to set up stands in
make it a win win deal
rent a skid steer for the day and a rock bucket, and pick rocks out, add lime and disc it in
for a starter plot, maybe go cheap seeds, like buckwheat, give the site time to balance PH, come fall plot time, you can again do a soil test, see where things are at, and if better, disc over buckwheat and plant something better, or, maybe have to add more lime and then again PLANT cheap seeds, like some cheap Rape/turnip seeds; buying at a local AG shop over buying DEER PLOT BRANDED Seeds will save you a LOT of $$,. till you get soil at a better balance on things

you haven't mentioned HOW large any plot here will be, so, hard to really say better with many unknown's
like size, equipment on hand and budget!

but a soil test is a the best $$ you will spend,
without proper PH and sun light, so things can actually grow,
you will only be spinning your wheels and wasting time and money