Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Inexpensive Soybean Seed

Old 12-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Spike

Default Inexpensive Soybean Seed

Hello, I live in central IL, I'm looking for a brand of inexpensive soybean seed (roundup ready). Any suggestions??
Old 12-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what you consider inexpensive but to find clean bean seeds round up inoculated will not be at the low end of the price scale. What you wind up with with seed when you go cheap is a field full of weeds. I learned that when I planed sunflowers one year for dove hunting. I would recommend you contact your farm extension office and tell them what you want to do, they can help you.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

join the National wild turkey federation, they have spring buys on left over seeds, you can get round up[ ready corn, and soybeans and other seeds(300-400 bucks a bag seeds) for like 35-45 bucks a bag, pending the area your in
costs 25 bucks to become a member for the yr?
you have to contact your local TWTF, and do so SOON< they take orders based on first come first service and it all comes down to what is offered in your area
its the CHEAPEST way I know of to get seeds, deal is, it HAS to be for wildlife Only you cannot harvest it
and second its a YR old seed, I have used the seeds for 15+ yrs and NEVER had any NOT grow, if I did my part(fertilizer and soil PH) and weather worked(rain and sun)
I always add extra inoculate , its IMO cheap insurance to help boost growth, any AGWAY or like store can sell you some cheap to treat seeds before planting

other wise, I know of no other main stream way of getting Good seed cheaper
and joining the NWTF is also going to send money to a good cause as well,
so a win win!
Old 01-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Find a farmer who will sell you some from his dryer. If you plant Roundup Ready soybeans that is what you grow. I have been planting them in food plots for years with great success. I pay $10 for 50lbs of soybeans to replant.

If you want clean seed you will have to find a seed rep who will sell left over seed. Just remember when you do this you will have to over seed as some of the old seeds wont germinate.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dbllunged
Find a farmer who will sell you some from his dryer. If you plant Roundup Ready soybeans that is what you grow. I have been planting them in food plots for years with great success. I pay $10 for 50lbs of soybeans to replant.

If you want clean seed you will have to find a seed rep who will sell left over seed. Just remember when you do this you will have to over seed as some of the old seeds wont germinate.
for most farmers, doing this can get them in BIG trouble, they all have contracts with Monsanto, and they are known to bankrupt small time farmers and BIG time farmer for selling seeds to anyone and or RE using there own seeds
so finding a farmer willing to SELL you some, is them taking a big risk, to be honest here
stupid and dumb, but Monsanto, is like the Mafia if the seed world and then some
do a little looking on them and see what I mean if you care to!
Old 02-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Spike

Sometimes you can find leftover seed from the previous year from farmers or dealers. A lot of farmers don't like to plant year old soybeans, especially if they have been treated. Germination rates can suffer quite a bit with carry-over beans so its a good idea to plant a little higher population.

I know guys who get their seed from the NWTF for $25-$30 bag just like mrbb mentioned. Another option is public varieties from universities.

How many acres you looking to plant?

Last edited by bhunt3; 02-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Spike

though not quite as cheap as the NWTF seed program where you can buy seed a approximatly 10 cents on the dollar ...you are buying old seed that require much heavier seed rate than "new first year seed" ...example soybeans from my experience ...2nd year seed beans need 120% application rate over first year seed and 135/140% seeding rate over normal for 3rd year beans ....corn fares somewhat better than beans in the germination department of aged seed ...of course how the seed was stored (temp/humidity control etc)
BUT I have found if you will go to your local Co-oP and ask for the seed buyer and tell him you want "food plot" grade seeds ....and you do it now to get him aware of your needs ...he will have access to this kind of seed for a short buying window just prior to the planting season ...act now for several reason ...foremost is for him to know your needs but even more is the seed SELLS out quickly ....here is WHY ...the originating seed producer will often allow small amounts of "plot" seeds to be sold and will get a feeling of what their distributors plot needs are and release only that up front order ...then they cut off availability so regular production channels do not rely on it as a reliable source
Understand this seed will NOT have the very latest DNA,fungiside, weed and insect packages but it generally can be bought at 25 cents on the dollar of regular current seeds

Good luck
Bear
Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

When We plant any Soybeans we usually go to a local Feed Store/MFA or other Farm Supply Store and just get the plain cleaned seed or as mentioned the Round-up ready Soybeans that cost more and You can't Replant or sell.

If Your not planting a decent size Soybean field (1/2 to 1 acre or larger) and there's plenty of Deer around and that's the only nearby food source when the Beans sprout and start looking so wonderful...the Deer will eat them down to nothing and You've wasted Your time & money!

I like planting a Variety of Plants...those that take heavy browsing and bounce back are Your better choices.Those I reccomend are the following:
Wheat
Oats
Turnips
Raddishes
Brassicas & Rape (more green leafs less bulb than turnips)
Sugar Beets
Sunflowers
Clover
Milo