Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Millet seed?

Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Spike

Default Millet seed?

Correct me if I'm wrong. The seed I'm referring to is the small round red seed you find in a bag of chicken scratch. The one that is the last one they eat. I found a spill behind a truck stop of this seed. I keep feed bags and a scoop in the truck for just such a find. Bagged up a lots of corn and soy beans in the past that way.
So now I have 255 pounds of these little red seeds. Question is, Should I try to plant it? Or just feed it as is to the turkey and other animals looking for a free meal?
Been googling Millet seeds and it seems there are over a thousand varieties. So it's hard to pin point the best way to plant. I'm in south west Missouri. Summers tend to get real dry.
I've seen deer like millet. So if I can plant it for them that would be great. Saw I lots of turkeys last year but they seem to have disappeared this year. So if I can get them back, Another Great.
Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some volunteer patches of Millet going. They seem to want to grow in places too dry for many other plants, like near Pines and other tree root systems that steal most of the moisture. They do need some sun. Millet is almost a weed. Rape and Millet also seem to tolerate Pine needles some and grow up closer to the edge of the trees/forest than most plants. If it gets enough sun Millet is pretty much bullet proof.

I've planted it along farm road edges/verges/ditches before to encourage Quail and Dove in So. California. Quail seem to particularly like it.