Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Rye Grass - what next

Old 10-29-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Rye Grass - what next

We have some rye coming up and the deer seem to like it. At least I' m finding tracks in the plot.

Question is, what, if anything, do we do with it and when? Do we just let it grow or should it be tended to in some manner?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rye Grass - what next

I usually try to apply some ammo-nite after my plots get up about 6 or 8 inches preferably just before a lite rain.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I' d reccomend mowing it about 1' high. Better to keep it a tender grass than letting it get stalky. Steve
Old 10-30-2003, 08:31 AM

Thanks guys. What about next spring and summer? Temps will get up in the 90s. Will it die off and will I need to replant or will it come back with cooler temps?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

It will die and you will need to replant next fall. You may have some seeds survive that may come up, but usually the birds, mice etc will get the majority of them.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with timber, unless you plant the rye variety that produces a grain head, the grass for the most part will die off. Till the rye back into your soil. Makes EXCELLENT source of nitrogen for your plants. Steve
Old 10-31-2003, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the follow up.

What are some good fall/winter options for deer besides going back with rye? It gets fairly cold - not too far south of southwestern Kansas.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:10 PM

Watch for how much actvivty you actually have in your plot. A healthy deers diet is only about 5% grass.

A tourist who buys access to his scenery misses it all together. So also is the sportsman who hires the state to be his game keeper.

Adolph Leopold
Old 10-31-2003, 12:15 PM

Sounds right, ST., but any thoughts on what else one might plant in the panhandle?

A lot of guys hunt over winter wheat in this area and there' s plenty of it around. I' m wondering if there' s something even better.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkhair -

I can' t speak from experience for your area- but can tell you that if wheat works good - but is REAL plentiful - try Oats, Rye, Barley, or other grain for a fall planting. In the North -- Rye is a better choice - but in the south - different varieties of oats might be a bit better than Wheat.

Short of that - try experimenting. Next time you plant - get a few pounds of other seeds you' d like to try - and sow them in the same area - in soild, small, adjoining, plots. Experience really is the best teacher - and luckily seed is cheap. Some clovers have a decent drought tolerance - maybe you would like to look at them - at least planted in conjunction ( a mix is a good thing to try - do the solid plots first though).

For what to do with Rye - you can extend its usefulness by mowing several times. If you have the equipment - the thing to do is plow it under when it just heads out. The " green manure" will be very available for the next crop. - In the south you might do this 2-3 time/year even.

Good luck in your plots.