Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover Plot Question

Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Clover Plot Question

I have a red clover and chicory plot. Some portions of it have about 10% grass in it. Should I mow or spray it or leave it alone? The clover is getting tall about 8-10 inches.

Thank you
Croc
Old 05-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it's only 10%, I'd leave it alone.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your response.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

10% grass isn't bad, but you might want to make sure you mow the plot when the grass starts to head out. If it goes to seed, you'll have a lot more than 10% grass next season.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
10% grass isn't bad, but you might want to make sure you mow the plot when the grass starts to head out. If it goes to seed, you'll have a lot more than 10% grass next season.
^What he said.^

I'd spray it before it spreads. Otherwise, mow it often enough that the grass doesn't have a chance to produce seed. That was the mistake I made with my clover plots.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would MOW it before that grass goes to seed head, if you do that, the clover should be able to choke out the grass then, by out growing it and shading it out
IF its only 10% grass like
Grass grows FASTER than clover, that's why it can over take a clover plot fast if NOT treated

SO< when its tall enough to mow and before grass goes to seed head, MOW That sucker and you should be good!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:41 AM
Spike

I would spray it. If you spray it, it dies. If you mow it, it will keep coming back. If it is a nice clover plot, early maintenance can prevent problems down the road - especially in clover plantings that may persist for a number of years. Remember, with a clover/chicory plot - you cant spray Butyrac to control broadleafs or you will kill your chicory. Pure clover stands are generally easier to maintain. You also don't want to keep mowing your chicory down.