Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fost seeding Question

Old 03-16-2016, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fost seeding Question

I frost seeded a area in Central Maine on Sunday with 1.5 lbs of red clover and mixed that with 1/4 lb of chicory because the night time temps were supposed to be high to mid 20 temps. The area is about 1/8th of an acre and on top of ridge that is wide open, mostly flat ground that was dozed and leveled out last year to put a barn on. There is a mix of bare soil and some grass and existing clover (conservation mix) that was planted late last summer then cut early fall. I limed and spread the clover seed and a little chicory Sunday in hopes that it will work into ground. It did get cold Sunday night, but then we got a steady day of rain, not hard rain and now were supposed to get a little more rain followed by low 20's night time temps. My question is should I re seed after the next round of light rain or so you think that the light rain helped with soil to seed contact?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Definitely helped H H
Old 03-17-2016, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you H H
Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

as long as not too heavy, definitely helped. 1-washes it to soil a little better & 2-more moisture in soil = better heaving and crystalization of soil
Old 03-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

With the rain, you should know fairly quickly one way or the other. I've found in most agricultural endeavors, a good rain makes every decision look like a good one.