Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

need your opinions

Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default need your opinions

Is a 6ft fence tall enough to keep deer out of my garden. No matter what we plant, 70 acres soy beans last year, corn and soy beans previously, they always pick my 2 acre garden clean. I know 8Ft would be better but the extra cost is considerable.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default deer fence

I've no proof but heard a white strand of any material along the top of a fence will help deter the deer jumping. There is also a commercial tape with chemicall which also may work.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 acre garden thats huge. A friend put an electric fence one strand about 30 inches high around his garden to keep the deer and bear out, it worked. My Uncle had a deer farm, the fence was at least 10 feet high and some deer could, would jump it.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer can jump an 8 foot fence if they want to, I have seen them jum 6 ft fences standing flat footed next to the fence. No white strand of anything on top of a fence will keep deer from jumping a fence. Lots of myths out there that are nonsense and a waste of time. One thing that does work is what is called the Penn State deer deterrent fence, it is a 5 strand electrified fence. While it is not 8 or ten or even 6 feet high, deer will dry to crawl under or through a strand fence and they will get a good shock and not try it again, they are used successfully in PA and the PGC provides them to farmers to protect certain crops. you can call this number and ask the PGC to send you the plans to erect the fence, 717-787-4250. Ask for the Bureau of wildlife protection and ask whoever you are connected to for the fence plans to be sent to you.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-27-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I had planned on barb wire with the bottom strand and maybe one more strand electrified. I have plenty of T post and barb wire from when we had cattle and fenced off the fields so think that's the way I am going.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I just use a single 5 foot high fence at the top of 6 foot post and one strand of electrified barb wire running about 8 inches off the ground. Once the deer get shocked trying to crawl under it that stay away from it. This is my veggie garden with sweet corn.

Believe it or not I use a single strand of 30 pound test monofilament fishing line knee high around the wife's flower beds.
Read about the fishing line in the May 2001 Michigan gardener Magazine and Sharon Lovejoys book Trowel and Error. decided to try it. It works about 98% of the time. I just add in where they broke the strand and we good to go for several more months.

Al
Old 07-31-2015, 09:21 AM
Spike

$400 -500 dollars dual perimeter electric fence very low fence but will keep deer out use it on my beans around 2 acres.