Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Last minute setup?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default Last minute setup?

Due to my circumstances, I haven't had the time or equipment to setup food plots. What would be a good way to attract the deer in during a hunt?I want to plant a winter plot, but confused on what works best for an east TX region?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

For a quick easy plot, Winter Rye grass is what I would go with. I really think it would come up without even using fertilizer, but to assure it does I would go ahead and ferti it! Also, some type of fall mix or Buck Oats would work as well!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd suggest beardless wheat. If you fertilize, go with something with a decent amount of phosphorus pre-plant, then till it in. If you don't have the opportunity to till, use just plain nitrogen. Nitrogen is mobile in the soil and will leach on down to the roots. Phosphorus isn't, and it requires banding or tillage to get it down to the root zone.