Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Brown top & Japanese Millet wilting and dying >

Brown top & Japanese Millet wilting and dying

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brown top & Japanese Millet wilting and dying

Old 08-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Spike

Default Brown top & Japanese Millet wilting and dying

First attempt at millet. I have 8 ponds that my Grandfather built and raised shiners and fish in. Woods have grown up around them and we normally hunt wood ducks coming in for acorns early in season.
We've had a wet spring and summer (N. La.) so didn't get them drained as early as intended. Planted first patch before soil results came back. Irregular shaped areas but I estimated that we spread 40 lbs per acre of 8-8-8 and planted a mix of both millets putting the Jap in the wettest areas and brown top in the higher dryer spots. First spot was planted 7-23. Had lots of rain since then but it came up quick and seemed like it was doing good. Looked good Sat in the rain but went back yesterday (Tuesday) and it's wilting and dying except the strip where the pond came up and the millet is standing in water.
Went and looked at the pond we planted 7-26 and it still looks good. I got the soil results before I planted it. I spread a estimated 80 lbs per acre Lime. 40 lbs per acre 8-8-8. & 40 lbs per acre of Amonia Nitrate 33%nitrogen. That is not near what the soil results called for on lime but I know it's late for lime to make much difference this year.
Is lack of nitrogen what is killing the millet?
How do I figure my fert amount?
Test results recommend 120-160 Nitrogen, 80 Phosphate,& 60 Potash.
Sorry so long. Not a farmer. Thanks for any advice