Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot

Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default Food Plot

Hi, I'm very new to food plots and need help identifying what's sprouting in my plot I planted last week. I planted whitetail extreme which has WINA chicory, BERSEEM clover, and persist small burnet. I also planted some alfalfa with it. I know it's one of them but would like to know which because it's the only one currently sprouting. Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails Food Plot-image.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

To early to tell at that stage. Looks just like early sprouting cukes and pumpkins.

Al
Old 05-17-2014, 05:25 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Looks like it might be clover, as it first looks when it emerges before getting second leaves. See this photo: http://www.lincoln.ac.nz/conversatio...or-sub-clover/ I assume this is a close-up photo.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Spike

Thanks for the responses! I initially thought clover as well but after looking online, I noticed that other plants look the same during emergence. I hope that I start to see other sprouts shortly! Has anyone planted extreme before? The bulk of the mixture (60%+) is persist small burnet. How long does it normally take for small burnet to emerge in ideal situations? I planted a day before 70's and received 4+ inches of rain over the last 7 days.. Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Soil should be damp but warm for seed to germinate properly. With 4 inches of rain and no sun you may have to start over.

Al
Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Spike

Oh wow I hope I don't have to replant. Not looking forward to that if it becomes necessary but this is my trial and error stage so I guess ill do what I have to :/ my only saving grace is that most of the rain came at night and it was moderate sun 3/4 of the week. Forecast calls for more sun this week and a little rain with temps in the 70's. I checked last night and finally seeing sprouts of chicory and burnet, from what I could tell by online pics. It's day 9 so hopefully I see a lot more sprouts this week or it may be back to the drawing board!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:32 AM
Spike

Also planted on hill side with good drainage which shoukd help
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Spike

Default Update pic of Whitetail Extreme food plot

Extreme is doing very well! 5 weeks in and I couldn't really ask for much more. Very thick and only getting thicker!
Attached Thumbnails Food Plot-image.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Phillip114
Hi, I'm very new to food plots and need help identifying what's sprouting in my plot I planted last week. I planted whitetail extreme which has WINA chicory, BERSEEM clover, and persist small burnet. I also planted some alfalfa with it. I know it's one of them but would like to know which because it's the only one currently sprouting. Thanks for any help!
It is Millet.
I have it all through my yard.
I got it from some fill dirt I had put in my yard many years ago.
The pictures are next to my garden.
Don't worry about it animals like to eat it.