Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New Clover Food Plot

Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Spike

Default New Clover Food Plot

I just cleared and stumped a 1 acre area in WV in preperation for a Clover field Food Plot. Soil test shows I need to add about 2,300 lbs of lime to get the PH where it needs to be which I'm doing this weekend. My question is this. As a bowhunter I'm looking for the best perrenial clover out there that would provide me with the best results for both deer and turkey. Also would like to know what the different opinions are of a good cover crop you all plant to provide the deer with the most forage during the summer while the clover gets established.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Spike

OK, I guess oats, red clover and landino clover it is.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was fast......You talk Yourself into it?

I used the Pennington Durana Clover last year and it did really good,we also plant Groundhog Raddishes,Rape/Brassicas and Purple Top Turnips in other food plots and it really draws the Deer in!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Spike

Thanks GTO hunter. Yes, I was thinking about going with the Durana clover but the local co-op didn't have it and I would have had to order it the weekend I had planned on planting it. Came out pretty good I think.
Attached Thumbnails New Clover Food Plot-plot.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You did a great job.....now to figure out which spots You'll hang a stand on or use a climber?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Spike

That's what trail cam are for. Thanks,