Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Liming Question

Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Liming Question

I'm going to till up 2 tons of ag lime for a food plot. How long does it usually take to change PH level? Can I plant right after I finish tilling?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

How many acres for the 2 ton ? It will take 4-6 months to get the full benefit. What is your Ph now ?If ITS 6 OR UNDER I WOULD PUT 2 TON PER ACRE. And yes you can plant just after with no problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can plant immediately after cutting in the lime, but pH will not change much until after 3-4 months, assuming you get a fair amount of rain. Moisture helps the ag lime to react.
As already alluded to optimum use of your lime $$$ requires a pH test. Then pH correct accordingly.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Spike

most soils that have been left barren or had trees cut off will need a min. of 2 ton per acre and to raise the ph 1 point will take 3 to 6 months, athletic field lime will work very quickly but costs more
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Size of the lime particles makes a difference in reaction time. Smaller is better.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

I was told I need 2 ton of lime per acre. How much is 2 ton of lime going for nowadays on average?