Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Chestnut seedlings growing

Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chestnut seedlings growing

Stratified some seeds and there starting to sprout... Got them growin under a grow light... There about 4" high right now... Pretty cool
Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Neat!!

Of all the trees one could plant for wild game, nothing beats chesnuts.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes that is pretty much what ive been reading... I wanted to try this little project out for fun and it looks like when im done ill prob have about a 100 seedlings...
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. Longbeard,

Are they American Chesnut or a Hybrid? I think the true strain of American Chesnut will succumb to the blight about the time that it reaches the nut bearing state which doesn't take long.

BPS
Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Mr. Longbeard,

Are they American Chesnut or a Hybrid? I think the true strain of American Chesnut will succumb to the blight about the time that it reaches the nut bearing state which doesn't take long.

BPS
yup, the blight is still here, the roots of the old chestnuts are still alive, they sprout up get about 4-6" in diameter and get the blight and die, the only reason blight hasn't killed the roots is there is a competeing organism in the ground which kills the blight so it can only work above ground.
a state forester told me awhile back that he had just measured a wild chestnut which sprouted up from an old stump that was 22" in diameter, biologists hope that the wild chestnut is on its own evolveing into being blight resistant.
RR
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest... I don't know if there american or not... I have a couple trees down from my house and I harvested the nuts last sept... The trees are nice size prob 18-20" in diameter and 30 feet tall... So who knows.... I don't care what kind it is as long as they grow and produce nuts!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

20" in diameter and only 30' tall points toward the Chinese variety, American chestnuts were large tall trees, kinda like red oaks
RR
Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yup, the blight is still here, the roots of the old chestnuts are still alive, they sprout up get about 4-6" in diameter and get the blight and die, the only reason blight hasn't killed the roots is there is a competeing organism in the ground which kills the blight so it can only work above ground.
a state forester told me awhile back that he had just measured a wild chestnut which sprouted up from an old stump that was 22" in diameter, biologists hope that the wild chestnut is on its own evolveing into being blight resistant.
RR
RR,

My dad had our woods logged back about '75 when I was a senior in high school. Sometime later, around '82, I was bow hunting and I saw a squirrel pass under my stand with something fuzzy looking in his mouth. I watched him go back to where he got it from and climbed down to investigate. I found several Chestnut pods and took them to my Mom's uncle who was in his seventies at that time. He said he was sure they were American Chestnuts and described the tree and leaves for me. I went back and found several trees in the 8" or so diameter but discovered that they had already succumbed to the blight as the lower limbs were already dying off. They must have sprouted from the original roots living underground when the canopy was opened up.

BPS
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Spike

One way to go so that you know what you have and what to expect along with cutting several years off your growing time would be to buy a few trees. My family used to be in the tree farm business and one of the other farms around us specialized in chestnuts, so I know their product and would recommend them. Take a look at Chestnut Hill Tree Farms, they raise Dunstan Chestnuts and I believe you can pick up trees for the 10 buck each price range.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
RR,

My dad had our woods logged back about '75 when I was a senior in high school. Sometime later, around '82, I was bow hunting and I saw a squirrel pass under my stand with something fuzzy looking in his mouth. I watched him go back to where he got it from and climbed down to investigate. I found several Chestnut pods and took them to my Mom's uncle who was in his seventies at that time. He said he was sure they were American Chestnuts and described the tree and leaves for me. I went back and found several trees in the 8" or so diameter but discovered that they had already succumbed to the blight as the lower limbs were already dying off. They must have sprouted from the original roots living underground when the canopy was opened up.

BPS
Yep, back in the 80's the clear cuts here on National Forest lands were chuck full of chestnuts up to around 10" in diameter, haven't checked on them in years, even as a kid I found sprouts that we're bearing just above my home place they weren't over 2" who knows maybe our grand kids will once again see the mighty chestnut as the dominant tree species.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.