Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Indiana wolves??

Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default Indiana wolves??

I am new to this forum.

Wolves near by. We are having a problem. I know there are Red wolves in Indiana I have seen them. I do not know what type of wolf is hanging around here but I know a wolf when I hear one. It has been nearby recently. I figure it is due to all of our rabbits, chickens and a new batch of broaster chicks we are raising.

Two nights ago I went out in the middle of the night as I am a night owl myself. I checked the temperature for the chicks. My loyal dog sat outside the pen until we heard the howl. My dog took off and I am standing in a 10 x12 chicken wire cage (it was completely closed in) So not sure what to do I thought should I wait or should I run like a mad woman to the house, or do I walk calmly back to the house. This howl was close with in 200 yards. We have heard it many times over the last year. The dogs are afraid when it howls. They won't leave the porch, bark or howl back like they do with cyotes and other dogs. A wolf was spotted by our neighbor about a month ago. DNR is like yeah no big deal. But my question is this is it legal to kill them in Indiana. Most animals that become nuisance or killing livestock are. To my knowledge all it has been accused of killing is a dog and a turkey that had escaped from a near by farm.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

First of all welcome to the forums..

For as far as shooting a wolf goes I would not dare to. All because the are protected under the Federal Government and the penalties are to strong for my likings. There was a guy here that shot one by accident and they sent out the DNA of it to 3 or 4 different states. That was so they could actually say it was a wolf. The guy got what most here feel was a bum wrap. They labeled him a felon and gave him 7 years in the federal pen for it. I forget how much of a fine he had to pay as well.

About the only thing you can legally do is notify the game warden or what ever he is called in your state and have them solve your problems from it.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

SSS= shoot shovel shutup...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Spike

Well it returned and we saw it. It attempted to break into the meat bird pen, pulled at the wire and dug around the door. The dogs reacted very odd barking but quietly. Contacted DNR again and again they said they can't do anything. They acted like it was not their problem so why bother. He actually blamed us for having chickens and rabbits. So we shot into the air to scare it and fixed the pen. Put plywood on the lower part of the wire pen. We will see if it returns. The thing is we live in an area where it should be successful hunting wild game, so it seems odd to me that it is coming so close to people and dogs to get a meal. Do you think something is wrong health wise with it?

edited to add

we are putting up several trail cams to try to get a pic of it.