Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need some help.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need some help.

Need some help with my food plot. Its not a very big plot maybe 30x50 Its nice and hidden. Last year I went in brush hogged it and tilled it up and planted some turnips and foliage rape. I relized I probably went about it all wrong. Id like to switch this plot over to Chicory and clover. What do I need to do And where do I start. I have acces to a tractor with a tiller and brush hog and my 4 wheeler. I was thinking about taking a loader bucket full of cow manuar from the farm and spreading it over my food plot tilling it in and planting my chicory and clover... but i have no idea what to do..
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

picture Need some help.-food-plot.jpg
Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

I've seen white dutch clover do well on logging trails, but I have doubts about chicory tolerating the shade. I would get a soil test to see if the soil needs lime. Any additional stress on the chicory and clover above the shade could lead to disappointing results.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

If it helps it all gets at least 4-6 hours of sunlight
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to check the pH. Clover likes it as close to 7.0 as you can get it. I have had luck mixing clover and chicory. Both need lots of sunlight.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like a clover spot. Dutch clover for cheap or Durana for more productive forage. Lime will definitely help these perform better but they are not sensitive as most of the big leaf types. Woods spots are typically low on pH, very low on phosphorus (usually only needed once in large amounts), they also need potash annually. Granted, that is here and yours will vary. It would be worth doing a soil test to steer you in the right direction.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Should I plant it spring or fall?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would plant in spring.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

I like fall planting because it eliminates most of the weed pressure and give roots more time to grow before the first summer. I'm guessing there is not much of a summer in VT, if you can handle the weeds you might could make a spring planting work.