Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New to food plot, have a few ????

Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Spike

Default New to food plot, have a few ????

I have a lease in eastern MO, a couple hours north of St. Louis. The property is a cattle ranch, so there is a lot pasture. I'm looking to start some small plots in the woods. I don't have any tractors or heavy machinery to do this. From what I'm reading clover seems to be the best thing to do. What I'm looking for is something that I can plant in the woods and needs minimal maintence since I don't live very close to go up there all the time. Any tips on what/how/when to put seed out? Also is there anything that can be planted in the winter? or does everything need to be planted in the spring/summer? Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

winter rye. good luck
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Spike

there are alot of rye and wheats that can be planted in fall, along with the clover you are wanting to do. Antler king makes a great clover mix. one thing to remeber about your clover is you will not see much out of it till the beginning of year so its something u will want to add with your fall food like wheats or rye.. also there are alot of great leafy plants that grow and do well after the first frost. rapes and turnips along with a ton more. Check out antler kings or some pre mixed bags for what you are trying to do. hope this helps
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If You had an ATV and a small disc it would help in planting Food Plots.We picked a few open spots in some heavy woods,then we cut out the smaller scrub trees and made it wider then were going to go in and rake all the leaves away and run a light disc across the bare ground and plant some clover in late Feb or early march and do about 2 other spots like it to see how well it does?

In the Fall an easy thing to plant would be foraging oats or winter wheat.In our bigger food plots we planted Rape,Brassicas,Purple Top Turnips,Groundhog Raddishes with some clover mixed in and wheat along the outter edges!

Clover is a Perrenial and will last for several years if maintained right,it also makes its own nitrogen!We usually frost-seed it in late Feb or early March also!