Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Mower to mow clover 6 to 8 inches high >

Mower to mow clover 6 to 8 inches high

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mower to mow clover 6 to 8 inches high

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default Mower to mow clover 6 to 8 inches high

Hello all!

This is my first post, so I am hoping I am not asking something that is constantly asked here. I did do a search and did not find what I was looking for. So, here it goes:

My father and I purchased 80 acres of hunting ground July of 2011. We have several established food plots out there. We were told to mow the cloverat 6 to 8 inches tall. (we also wish to mow other areas to keep from growing too tall). My father has a polaris ranger 4X4 sidebyside (dont ask me the specs), we are looking to either get a mower to put behind that or purchasing an actual riding lawn mower. However, we have yet to find one that will go tall enough. Does anyone have anything in these terms that will work? Any ideas or comments are appreciated. Being the younger one of the two I get nominated to mow these plots with my push mower. It takes a ton of time and is back breaking!

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Spike

Any commercial zero turn will handle it. 5" is the highest mine will cut.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Just get two push mowers hook them together, take the handles off, and pull them with the ATV.
I saw a guy doing this with a riding mower.
And its a lot cheaper.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Spike

I had the same problem. The only thing I could find that would cut that high was a swisher pull behind trail cutter. I cut my 1 acre clover field a couple of times with a regular riding mower on the highest setting which cuts at 4" and was very happy with the results. I ended up settle with a a craftsman riding mower. You ultimately end up mowing a couple more times a year but the clover bounces right back and the deer seem to love the new growth better.