Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plot activity

Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default plot activity

checking food plots this weekend. it appears the deer are hitting the buck forage oats and winter peas fields pretty good. saw deer in the oats simply walk in and feed for what seemed to be extended period of time. turkeys pretty much did the same thing. good to see something working after the dry summer we have had.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

With the drought this year everything is a month early. The farmers have already picked ALL their corn, then beans & most all got their cotton out lastweek so the fields are bare! That means the deer head for the riverbottom for wintercover & mast crops. My place is 80% hardwood bottoms & I have 7 plots scattered thru my place as well as appx 75 acres of pasture that I let grow natural. (625 acres place) and the mast crop is early this year as well. They are "lightly" trollin across the plots but mainly they are staying in the woods & keying on the TONS of acorns in my woods. I'll literally have more deer on my place as the season progresses than it has on it right now as the guns go off in wider open areas around me & the deer seek my super thick swamp.

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-11-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Spike

kasaswiderack: Have your oats already developed seed....or are the deer just munching on the green spouts at this point. I got mine in late (about 5 weeks ago) and they are just about ankle high...think I have a while before there is anything they want to eat on the oats part. I do have clover and turnips as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

my oats is short and green but fairly thick. deer appear to be hitting it hard which is what i wanted it for. i have it on 2 different farms. one i planted in early sept. the other late sept. the early one really looks good-its had some rain. the late one has had less rain and is fairly sparse. the deer are using both. the second one is in an area that is pretty much all pasture in the area while the first is in farm country.